Outdrive Oil

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by Poolboy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Poolboy

Poolboy New Member

Hi,
    I have a mid 80's Lazdays houseboat with 2 x 454's, with velvet drives and big beefy outdrives TR's maybe?
    I think the Velvet Drives take ATF - can anyone confirm if that is the case at what is best to use? I am really unsure about the outdrives. They have reservoirs mounted on the interior transom and I am unsure what they need to be topped up with! They have dipsticks and they need topped up. Do I use gear oil like SAE 80/90 or what? Should I buy the gold plated Quicksilver sterndrive oil. Nothing is marked anywhere?
    I did change the oil in these lovely big V8's and put in Full Synthetic - they are sounding great.
    Thanks for any help!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Velvet Drives use Dexron III. The drives will depend on what they are. If they are Mercruisers then use GL5 85W90. You can use synthetic on both.

3. Poolboy

Poolboy New Member

So DEXTRON III in the auto/velvet drive - thanks!
    So the actual outdrives - big suckers.. use general gear lube 85W90? I don't wan't to drain and refill.
    Thanks for your help!

4. Poolboy

Poolboy New Member

I have a buddy with another houseboat (2 x 350's) and big out drives (with the electric motor driving a microswitch for neutral). It's a mid 70's boat and he has a broken gimbal assembly - where the hydraulic rams fit - any idea where he can get one/two? As I said we think they are maybe older TR's - any ideas?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.