Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One Problem revised

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by waterdogz, Jul 11, 2005.

1. waterdogz

waterdogz New Member

Thank you to the persons that responded yesterday. I talked with an auto mechanic that advised me to check for any other inline filter. He stated that it sounded like a fuel pump due to it starving for air. He gave me a fuel pump gauge to check the amount of pressure coming off the load side of the pump. He said it should be between 3 and 5 and shouldn't fluctuate. After getting to the dock with tools in hand some friends inquired to what I was fixing. One of the guys told me that there is probably a second inline filter an to check for that. After some inspection and then some help from others I found a filter inside the carb. Followed the fuel line which is solid pipe to the carb and as it entered the carb there was a big brass fitting. Inside that fitting is what looks like a skimmer which has a spring on the back side. Sure enough it was clogged. It looked like at low idle it would allow fuel but when it called for a lot of fuel it starved the carb. The fuel line was seized and I had to break it to get it off so I will be out looking for someone tomorrow who can resize, flare, and rebend the fuel line to match the old. I think this is the solution. I will keep you up to date and hope this can help someone else down the road. Thanks to everyone.

Rick
    International brother of Electrical workers 351 South Jersey.

2. Zinski

Zinski New Member

How'd it work?

Hey, I am currently having the same problem with my boat. (Chaparral 1800 SL). The boat runs beautiful in idle and going slow. As soon as I go maybe 20 seconds planned off the engine starts bogging...thought it may be a dirty filter somewhere not letting enough fuel into the engine....Has the problem completly resolved since cleaning the filters? Did you disassemble and clean? Or did you replace?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.