transom soundness

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by grady, Oct 26, 2006.

1. grady

grady Novice

I have 86' grady wht 24 w/ 280 omc cobra I/O. Was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with rot in the transoms or deck coring. I'm about to repower and not sure if transom should be rebuilt. Although I am not looking for this project to take yet another dimension, I am looking to do it right the first time.
    Background: The boat is moored for about 120 days a year and is covered all off-season. The transom shows no visable signs of rot or weakness. The hole for the new drive is the same. the trim tabs mounting screws have some moisture in the surrounding wood. Just want this done well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. grady

grady Novice

Hey Guys, You mean to tell me that out of all of the members out there no one has ever had or heard of anyone having trouble with a grady white transom. That's GREAT news.

Thanks

Grady

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I haven't heard of problems with a Grady WHite, but I've seen it happen with a lot of other makes. If there is rotted wood in the transom you should be able to tell by sounding with a hammer. Good solid wood will give a nice clear sound. If it's soft it will be a dull thud and the glass might even flex a bit. If Grady White did a good job of sealing all the holes in the transom then there shouldn't be a problem.

4. grady

grady Novice

Thanks Ike, this thread has been out there for 30 days lots of veiws but no replies.

The transom shows no signs of weakness, I had my glass guy give it as soundness test. ( via thumping ) And he thought it was in great shape.

I must say for the most part, I've been very happy with the way the hull has held up over the years. Except for this one ply product they used as a bulkhead, and interior trim componet. It seems to have a low pressure laminate ( read wood grain ) finish.

This is complete crap !!!

Thanks again

Grady

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.