merc cruizer 350 bogging down

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by timbo123, Jan 26, 2015.

1. timbo123

timbo123 New Member

Hi guys
    hopefully someone can help...
    I have an older rear mount eliminator with a 350 merc in it... I have an issue where it works ok at 2500 ish rmp but as soon as I turn a sharp corner it boggs down and often can not re start as its flooded bad..

I took of fuel filter and it had heaps of water and garbage in it... so i replaced that and drained out both fuel tanks thinking that that is the cause. took if for a run today and id did the same and could not re start (had to get towed back :-()...

It has a manual fuel pump - should I replace with electric? I must be a fuel/carbie issue - have I got the float incorrect? I have adjusted timing etc..

Im about to take it to a mechanic however i suspect they may not be able to locate issue as the mechanic here can not run it on a lake and it runs fine..

it does also bog down some time under load on initial take of..

It has a holly carb in it but not sure of model... there is a little grub screw on each side of the float one is out heaps further then the other - is that an issue?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That seems to indicate that you need to rebuild the carburetor. Hollys are finicky about fuel contamination. Make sure you get the correct power-valve. There are two types and many vacuum ratings for them.

3. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

clogged, not bogged?

First, in most cases, electric pumps are not allowed on boats. If the engine quits or a fuel line leaks, you have a very dangerous problem.
    It sounds as if you have a partial blockage in your fuel system. Just enough gas gets through to run, but not enough for higher flow. Holleys have a screen in the inlet, check it first. I would first try running from a portable outboard tank with clean (new) fuel. I do sometimes use a portable pump connected where the carb hooks up to flow test the system.
    I am also assuming you have a way of checking the ignition system under load to make sure it really is a carb problem.
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.