Merc' Classic 40hp.'89/'91. Service manual-online/downloadable

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by djaus, Oct 12, 2013.

1. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

I'm looking online for a service & repair manual for my outboard.

Is there a trusted website where I can download manuals or info for free. I have looked at exe files on ilivid & filetrader but I'm wary of these types of files.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Cant help you. When i need a service manual i swing by my local dealer with a six pack of cold beer, borrow the service manual and photocopy it.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A service manual for that engine is about $30 bucks, which isn't a cost to be especially concerned about. They can be purchased on line or through a local service center. Getting these for free is well, wishful thinking, considering all the proprietary information contained within.

[​IMG]

4. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

I don't know if you can get manuals for free anywhere but but you can download manuals from www.outboardexpert.com for $14.95. I got one for a 1976 85 horse Evenrude. I also got one for my 1978 70 horse Merc from www.tradebit.com for $7.95 both were very good manuals.

Dave T :)

5. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

6. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Thanks for the advice folks. We'll leave it there though. I don't buy things online unless it's something I can't get anywhere else.

It's easy enough to buy one from a marine shop, I'm just being a tight arse!

7. michael pierzga

Yah, stay away from any online purchase nonsense. Buy local.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's absurd to avoid online purchasing. Safety protocols are in place and the majority of retail sales are now made if not online after using online research, so concerns aren't what the naysayers can justify. Pricing is often better, shipping often fee and sales taxes in most places irrelevant.

9. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Go to the iboats.com forums. Go to the Mercury side of things. I was given a link for a 50hp manual. I was asking about different download options and one of the forum members offer up a free link.

Try to track down an actual Mercury manual and not a Clymer or other aftermarket. I think the aftermarket manuals get a little generic sometimes.

10. michael pierzga

Err umm.. You save a few bucks online...the local retailer goes out of buisness...your taxes go up to pay all the unemployment benefits.

People wonder why the top one percent gets richer and richer while the middle class falls...the rich own the online retailers

When i need a piece of equipment i prefer to drive a hard bargain with the local retailer.

Online-shopping is destructive technology. There are no more book shops and camera shops in my town. A major loss

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

online has trashed Australian retailing and the GOV gets zero income from it
    Main streets will just be phone shops car dealers and food soon

12. michael pierzga

Its sad. It hurts retired folks. In the perfect world i go to the ships store and some retired guy named Par, working part time for extra bucks and to stay connected to his boatyard mates, sets me up with all the paint brushes, thinner ill need , then passes on some pro tips on how to use them.
    The internet comes....
    The , the ships store cant compete, the retired guy lost his work and the client lost the retired guys lifetime of experience.

13. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

they will realise when everybody wakes up and finds their government bankrupt ( they already are) trying to pay pensions
    Todays US gov debt is almost 220trillion if you include unfunded promises
    Having said that if I want an OMC manual I go to www.outboardbooks.com
    funny how there is a demand for OMC manuals, does that mean there are only old OMC's out there??
    Seawater finished off most of the Mercs

14. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Personally I don't like online shopping either, I've heard to many stories of folk being ripped off.
    I'm old fashioned 99% of the time, I have the money in this hand, & if retailer puts a good product in the other hand we do business, & if I'm happy with the product i'll go back next time I need something.

As it happens I don't really need the book right now. I thought my Merc' had a gearbox oil leak but it turns out to be unburnt 2 stroke oil.

Just yesterday I went looking for a car part (o2 sensor), REPCO want $170, AUTOBARN want $110, online I can get one from Melbourne for $75 inc' freight. Problem there is the online retailers only payment option is credit card or PayPal....I don't like either option. I'll go to AUTOBARN when I'm ready, they'll do.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.