Meranti ply specs?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Phil Locker, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

Looking for the mechanical specs of Meranti plywood (specifically BS6566, but I'll take what I can get).

Elastic modulus?
    Compressive strength?

Thanks
    Phil

2. I am very unhappy to tell you we have lived too long! British standards are no more. Search www.marineply.com. Bad news if you dig deep enough. Rich

3. Phil Locker

I've dug...

Can't find what you're referring to on that site. Can you provide a link to the specific page?

4. Opening page, bottom center titled -old news and press - bottom item -BS1088:1969 dropped- read full story.

5. Phil Locker

6. I can scan you a copy and Email it to you. Yes or no?

7. Phil Locker

That would be great. Thanks!

Phil (email: phil at philsfoils.com)

8. What is the present status on the British Standards? Thanks, Rich

9. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Meranti Ply

Meranti also known as Serayah, comes in a number of varieties ranging from Class II to Class IV.
    The quality of Maranti ply depends therefore on the used type of wood.
    The specific gravity of the better species of Shorea spp is around 550 kg/m3; the E-modulus is 14 ( X10 3 MpA )
    The core of the Serayah is reasonable to good for many applications, the spint is useless for any purpose
    Important is the type of glue used in the ply mfg process. There are too many cheap products in the market.

Is this of an help?

10. Phil Locker

Yes it helps, thanks. I want to run some calculations using Meranti ply (BS 6566) as a core, and need the modulus (which you've given) and the compressive & shear strengths (still needed). Assuming any error in these numbers will be covered by using a reasonable safety factor....

Phil

11. Phil, did you get that B S info I emailed you and did you figure out what is happening to the old standards? Rich.

12. D'ARTOIS, Could you click on www.marineply.com and read all the bottom center articles about British Standards and post what has or is taking place when I buy the plywood for my next 20' with splices? Thanks, Rich

13. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Meranti specs

Phil, this is what I have:

parameters are in N/mm2

Compression parallel to grain 529

Impact/Bending 0.74

E-mod 11400

Max Bending 92

kind regards
    D'ARTOIS

14. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

BS Standard

For us, this standard is obsolete - we never trust any plywood supplier on what they claim to be or produce, no 1 lesson in boatbuilding;

Today, plywood is manufactured under different circumstances than 10-15 years ago and standard quality is not a given parameter;

Even large companies rely on what is available on the international market, regardless environmental lobbyists who have certainly speeded up the downhill
    tendency of quality plywood manufacturing due to import stops on raw timber.

Factual quality testing is required for unsourced batches of plywood, regardless the qualification supplied.
    Used manufacturing methods, environment and used gluetypes are of prime importance.
    If you buy Bruynzeel, you buy top quality (at top prices), jus as an example.
    That is sourced material, with a sourced manufacturer - with own facilities.

15. I assume that is how a 22'- 2 seat racing runabout can quickly climb in price if it is used in structural and final skin? I am planing to deal with M.L. CONDON in White Plains, N Y. As they have a full line of marine plywood and solid wood. Do you have any cautions? Thanks, Rich

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.