Meranti or gaboon plywood In Australia

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gary1, Dec 18, 2006.

1. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Morning,
    Are there any real advantages in using Gaboon plywood over Meranti(Pacific maple). The boat to be built is of a planing hull design,and will be built using epoxy resin. The Gaboon is only slightly dearer in price and a little bit ligher weight wise per sheet as far as I can tell. Just wondering if there a any definate advantages in one over the other. I would use Hoop pine but at twice the cost per sheet compared to the other two that's not going to happen. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank's
    Gary

2. catmando2

catmando2 Malaysia bound....soon

Depending on where you get your ply from, you can find that PM can flake out exsessivly on the face when cutting.

This appears to be because the outer face is really thin.

I would suggest the Australian Hoop ply may be a better choice for the hull areas as I feel it is a stiffer / stronger product than gabbon or PM, and my preference for the rest would be gaboon.

If wanting to save some $$$ on the Hoop, have a think about hand selecting some AS2271 , which is exterior ply, but uses the same veneer's, same glue, but may have marked faces. Hand selecting lets you get the best sheets from the pack. Also some places sell a downgraded marine with a slightly damaged face or edge.

In my opinion quality AS2271 is a better ply than some of the BS1088 marine being sold.

Have fun

Dave

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.