Memorial Day

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by charmc, May 23, 2008.

1. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Actually, Jer made the best suggestion I've ever heard, (and Jim wants in): get some of us old farts together, drink beer, and talk about boats. :)

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

sorry kapt.,,my ole lady says im like a pusher,,,get people to talk about stupid stuff,,hehe ;) ,,,and do you have the latest " grumpy old dude" text book,,,,mines outta date ,,hehe ;)
    and charlie,,i may not be old, OLD like you guys,,,,but i feel as old as you guys look :D

3. masalai

masalai masalai

OK may your preferred diety give you the abundant blessings you deserve -ahwomen- (just in case the diety is female :D:D:D - which it probably is....)

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Jim I may not agree with your words - remember WHO the enemy was when those words were written - apparantly you had some disagreement with us about where you got got your tea from - for me you could keep the bloody tea;)

But I agree whole heartedly with your sentiment - remember "Blood is thicker than water"

5. safewalrus

And to show the differrences last Friday Britain had "Veterans Day" - never heard of it - niether had most of the UK Veterans, apparantly it was invented some few years ago (about three) by the Prime minister Mr. B.Liar to get votes because he kept sending young men and women off to their deaths without the proper kit and couldn't even be bothered to meet the bodies of those who did die coming home! His sucessor is still doing it!

I sat in the office wearing my veterans badge to see what the reaction would be (I shed a few tears for old mates 'who are no longer with us') and was ignored completely!

Whilst its about letting people get on with their lives without let or hinderance it would be nice if they'd spare a thought for those who didn't make it -or at least had been there - heads to far up their own arses I guess!

"To brave friends not with us"

now lets go talk about boats!

and drink beer

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Walrus,
    I have been where you are and I know how you feel. It has only been in the last two or three years that people actually shake my hand and say "thank you" on Veteran's day. It is a good feeling, be patient your time of recognition by your peers will come too. It only took this side of the pond 40 years.

O.K. Lets get serious. Lets do this "Meet" We have enough time to plan it. Pick a month December, January, February?? When It's nasty up north and you guys need a break-- Start floating ideas around. Jim you are in charge of the Meds. A sail-in around Orlando? a drive / fly-in at 'Lauderdale? Motel / Hotel or rough it on the boat? Week-end or weeks vacation. Family or a guy thing. LETS get some opinions!! Walrus, with the dollar at it's level it could be a cheap vacation. Let's get serious!!
    Charlie,
    Thanks for the vote. Lets meet this winter!! Mohetas are in now. We'll save the beer for Jim. My wife sings at an upscale restaurant a few miles north. It could be a great place to meet.
    I am not a professional boat person so I don't know of any trade shows that can work as a tax right-off for some of you guys, maybe you know and we can tie that into the Meet, There is always the Fort Lauderdale boat show???
    Jim,
    You are in the Forum more than I can be (I actually have to work for a living). Why don't you start a new thread in Open Discussions. A lets meet thread. That way we could interest a bunch more "dudes" to join us.

7. safewalrus

The ideas brilliant but the money ain't so good at the moment -but you got me thinking!!

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Now that's a dangerous image, Walrus is thinking!!

9. safewalrus

Yeah, it's kinda got me worried too!! Or it would if I could!!

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

o.k.,,can do man,,,,,,but only if the seal stops that thinking,,,even knowing someone is thinking hurts my head,,hehe ;) ,,,i'll get it started tonight Kapt.,,im shooting in and out ( get ya mind out of there seal!) trying to get all these damned birds moved around,,,,,,i had to FEEL rich, so i got a couple peacocks,,,,well,,,1 cock and 1 hen,,,(AGAIN SEAL!!) hehe ;)

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

12. safewalrus

Seal - hey I resemble that remark, seals is small slippery creatures, kinda in and out no clout! A walrus is big heavy and tons of thump! do the job properly do walrus's slowly mind, but properly!

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

notha damned C&P

I am the flag of the United States of America.
    My name is Old Glory.
    I fly atop the world's tallest buildings.
    I stand watch in America's halls of justice.
    I fly majestically over institutions of learning.
    I stand guard with power in the world.
    Look up and see me.

I stand for peace, honor, truth and justice.
    I stand for freedom.
    I am confident.
    I am arrogant.
    I am proud.
    When I am flown with my fellow banners,
    My head is a little higher,
    My colors a little truer.
    I bow to no one!
    I am recognized all over the world.
    I am worshipped - I am saluted.
    I am loved - I am revered.
    I am respected - and I am feared.
    I have fought in every battle of every war for more then 200 years. I was flown at Valley Forge, Gettysburg, Shiloh and Appomattox.
    I was there at San Juan Hill, the trenches of France,
    in the Argonne Forest, Anzio, Rome and the beaches of Normandy.
    Guam, Okinawa, Korea and KheSan, Saigon, Vietnam know me.
    I'm presently in the mountains of Afganistan and the hot and dusty deserts of Iraq and wherever freedom is needed.
    I led my troops, I was dirty, battleworn and tired,
    But my soldiers cheered me and I was proud.
    I have been burned, torn and trampled on the streets of countries I have helped set free.
    It does not hurt for I am invincible.
    I have been soiled upon, burned, torn and trampled in the streets of my country.
    And when it's done by those Whom I've served in battle - it hurts.
    But I shall overcome - for I am strong.
    I have slipped the bonds of Earth and stood watch over the uncharted frontiers of space from my vantage point on the moon.
    I have borne silent witness to all of America's finest hours.
    But my finest hours are yet to come.
    When I am torn into strips and used as bandages for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
    When I am flown at half-mast to honor my soldier,
    Or when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving parent
    at the grave of their fallen son or daughter,

I am proud.

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

PO2(EOD2)Mike Monsoor,a Navy EOD Technician,was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor posthumously for jumping on a grenade in Iraq, giving his life to save his fellow Seals.

During Mike Monsoor's funeral in San Diego, as his coffin was being moved from the hearse to the grave site at Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery, SEALs were lined up on both sides of the pallbearers route forming a column of two's, with the coffin moving up the center. As Mike's coffin passed, each SEAL, having removed his gold Trident from his uniform, slapped it down embedding the Trident in the wooden coffin.

The slaps were audible from across the cemetery; by the time the coffin arrived grave side, it looked as though it had a gold inlay from all the Tridents pinned to it. This was a fitting send-off for a warrior hero.

This should be front-page news instead of the crap we see everyday.

Sincethe media wont make this news, I choose to make it news by forwarding it onto you guys. I am damn proud of our military. If you are proud too, please pass this on. If not then rest assured that these fine men andwomen of our military will continue to serve and protect.

Attached Files:

15. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I have nothing to say,or add,longliner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.