Memorial Day

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by charmc, May 23, 2008.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

And in the news today over here the French want to have a EU navy with the mainstay being one of our carriers - British Matelots taking orders from a French officer - the only place the British (and the Americans) take orders from the French is in the Foreign Legion - formed by the French 'cause they know they know there's certain things the French can't do!..................

Also I see we've lost another four in Agfanystan - three SAS (reservsts) and an Intelligence Corp (our first woman) won't ask what they were doing, but there wern't no frogs around! Cept maybe under the stones!!

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

every loss is a great loss ,,someone ,loses a father ,,a brother ,cousin or uncle,,we familys are left to bear the pain ,while the polititions decide what kind of suit to wear to dinner,,,,,,

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Hay Longliner you are starting to sound like me.

If we start to dwell on those that need fraggin then "they" will put us on a list. Don't you remember --"don't mean nothin" You have to keep that in your head, but you have to remember every friend. That keeps them alive.

I remember--Capt. Genae 1st Marines, Didn't walk away from a bouncing betty on Hill 55 1967. I remember Lt. George Coleman, 1st Marines, Died leading a squad against a machine gun, Hill 55 1967. Ganae was my dorm leader at U of M, George was in my high school Graduating class (40 kids). I had choppered in to see both two weeks before. I remember "The KId" --Flying into Khe Sanh on a C130 we dropped the tail and I helped push out 2 pallets, then tried to grab the hand of the kid that was running to get on (the C130's never stopped on the ground at Khe Sanh). A mortar got him first. I remember Petty Officer 3rd class Davis, USN Seabee, also hit by a mortar , Bhu Bia, 1968, I remember "Skeeter" , USN, S.O.G, 1968, Laos, fire fight. We trained together, were on the same team. There are more---------

But I also remember that my son, and his Fiancé are coming to visit tonight to stay the week end, The engine is almost running on the boat, and I'm as content and happy as anyone can be paying $4.15 for gas.

4. longliner45

thats why we did what we did,,capt,,,,,,,have a good one,,show those kidds a good time,longliner

5. safewalrus

Kapin, hope your weather is better than we are having over here at the moment - but they won't care, they're with Dad! that's all that matters!!

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Hi Guys,
    All is great here 76 and sunny.

7. safewalrus

Now your really getting to me Jer - here we consider 56 and notraining to be great!

Enjoy!!

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

If you don't know GOD, don't make stupid remarks!!!!!!!

A United States Marine was attending some college courses between
    assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. One
    of
    the courses had a professor who was an avowed atheist and a member of
    the
    ACLU. One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He
    looked
    to the ceiling and flatly stated, 'God, if you are real, then I want
    you
    to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes.'
    The
    lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes
    went
    by
    and the professor proclaimed, 'Here I am God. I'm still waiting.'
    It got
    down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his
    chair,
    went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him; knocking him off the
    platform. The professor was out cold. The Marine went back to his
    seat
    and sat there, silently. The other students were shocked and stunned
    and
    sat there looking on in silence. The professor eventually came to,
    noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, 'What the heck is
    the
    matter with you? Why did you do that?' The Marine calmly replied,
    'God
    was too busy today protecting America's soldiers who are protecting
    your
    right to say stupid stuff and act like an idiot. So, He sent me.'

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Happy 4th of July!

........... .......let' s get this started now, so it will be out there on the fourth!!!!

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE
    FLAG,

OF THE
    UNITED
    STATES OF AMERICA,
    AND TO THE REPUBLIC, FOR
    WHICH IT STANDS,
    ONE
    NATION UNDER GOD,
    INDIVISIBLE, WITH
    LIBERTY

AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    For
    All of our other military personnel, where ever they may
    Be
    Please
    Support all of the troops defending our Country.

And God
    Bless our Military who are protecting our Country for our
    Freedom.
    Thanks
    To them, and their sacrifices we can celebrate the 4th of July
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    We must never forget who
    Gets the credit for the freedoms we have, of which we should be
    Eternally grateful.

I watched the flag
    Pass by one day,
    It fluttered in the breeze

A young Marine
    Saluted it,
    And then he stood at ease..

I looked at
    Him in uniform
    So young, so tall, so proud,
    With hair cut square
    And eyes alert
    He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men
    Like him
    Had fallen through the years.
    How many died on foreign
    Soil
    How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes
    Shot down?
    How many died at sea
    How many foxholes were soldiers'
    Graves?
    No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of Taps
    One night,
    When everything was still,
    I listened to the bugler
    Play
    And felt a sudden chill. I wondered just how many times

That Taps had meant 'Amen,'

When a flag had draped a
    Coffin.
    Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the
    Children,
    Of the mothers and the wives,
    Of fathers, sons and
    Husbands
    With interrupted lives.

I
    Thought about a graveyard
    At the bottom of the sea

Of unmarked graves in
    Arlington.
    No, freedom isn't free .

Enjoy Your Freedom
    &God Bless Our Troops

Attached Files:

10. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Somehow I've missed this thread for the past few weeks, so some "catch up" comments:

Jim, keep cutting and pasting. You're finding words of inspiration.

Jer, Keep those memories alive. I think the best toast possible is one that is spoken in many languages by vets all over the world, "To brave friends not with us".

Longliner, I can't add a thing to what you said, my friend.

Jer, driving over to the "rightcoast" to sip some brews with you and others from here would be one of the better ways to spend a day.

Safie, keep the faith, man, and remind those EU ijits they already have a Navy to protect Europe. It's called NATO. The concept of coming together as needed works pretty well. The froggie politicos haven't wanted to play with others for many years. Now they do? Methinks they just want to have others share the costs. Or they're afraid the Brit pols might just get their heads out of their nether ends and go ahead with those new carriers.

I like Andy Rooney's story of the arrogant French waiter who told him that American and British tourists needed to learn to speak French before ordering in a Paris restaurant. Andy said he asked the waiter if he spoke German. When he said "Of course not. No Parisian would ever speak German", Andy said, "On behalf of my American and British friends, "You're welcome."

To brave friends not with us.

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Guys,
    I would like to ask one small favor. Lets keep religion out of the Boat Design Forum.
    Jim, We are friends, I liked your story about the Marine, but if god is protecting our troops what God is protecting the Islamic fighters? They are fighting in the name of god too, so are the Israelis and the Palestinians, the Kurds, the Somalis--Pick an ethnic region--God is on their side. I am not a believer in any organized religion manly for that reason, and I just think it better that religion stays in some other forum, we have enough to argue about. We don't need that to muck things up.

12. longliner45

good one jim ,,I NEVER DENY MY MAKER,,,,been too too many close ones for me ,,,,Id give ya all my points ,,but gotta spread it around,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks,,,,longliner

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i believe everyone has their own god,,,im not into any organized religious group,,in fact im DEAD against church's,,and the islamic religion doesnt preach to kill all others thats not religious does it?,,it may,,i have no idea,,but as a whole,,no religion preaches that.,,and like ive always said, my C&P's that have "god" in them are sent to me by a friend,,that KNOWS i have no religion,,but he knows i can read past the "god" words,, and get the "jest" of the story.
    ,,,and to many people,,they where fighting for a belief,, a belief that freedom was worth their life,,and alot of those people did and do believe in their god,,,,,,,,,,,,i think this thread was to memorialize all of them,,so my "god" posts are for those,,and for people that fought because they believed in whatever it was that made them decide to join,,,,,,but there is also people that didnt have the choice,,i feel sorry for them,,,,,,,but if we understand beliefs are the mirror of religion,,,,,then,,,has there ever been a war that wasnt over beliefs?
    i also believe religion talk has it place,,and i didnt think a boat forum was that place,,but then theres a memorial day thread,,,and the memorial day remembrance isnt a religious occasion,,,,but ive never seen any memorial day event without a prayer to their god.,,,so my outlook is if we censor war vets and their beliefs,,,we're leaving out alot, alot of vets.
    ,,,and isnt it nice to NOT have to agree with FRIENDS and not worry bout "friendship" ,,,,,,,,,,your gonna give me bad "rep" points aint ya,,,hahaha ;):D

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Jim,
    My wife says I'm in training to be a grumpy old man. (I thought I was training to be a dirty old man). I'm glad you see my point. I believe in God. I just don't believe in religion. Too many people have and are still being killed, maimed, tortured, *****, mutilated all in the name of religion, but you made me do what I didn't want to do --talk about religion.--Lets build boats!!

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

The subject of religion is a tough one, always. More so because so many religions include a call to proclaim one's belief and spread the word, whether it be the Gospel, Qu'ran, or other Word of God source. I am a believer and follow a Christian faith, but I keep proclamations of my beliefs out of most discussions. My church, fortunately, recognizes that its best promotion is the example we set by our behavior with others rather than our declarations. When theology and philosophy are the subject, then I will promote my beliefs. But Jer has a point. To comply with his request is not to deny the importance of our beliefs or to in any way support atheism or agnoticism, but merely to acknowledge that there are many topics we can discuss without including religion. Let's face it, religion can be and has been too often a justification for war and various forms of social, personal, and governmental abuse. The wise men who established the US Constitution were mostly firm believers in Christianity and recognized that much of our social actions were based on morality derived from the Judeo-Christian (Bible) heritage. They had the wisdom, however, to recognize that government and many forms of human intercourse need to be allowed to exist apart from our various religious beliefs.

I started this thread to remind of us of the importance of honoring those who are and were willing to go in harm's way to defend freedom. You guys have humbled me with the thoughts you've shared. Starting a thread gives me absolutely no control over it's content (that's fer sure :D), but IMHO Jer has made a reasonable request, with an accurate basis.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.