Memorial Day

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by charmc, May 23, 2008.

1. redtech

redtech Senior Member

Jer,

they said it and i will to. the day is for the ones that didn't make it home and as said it is to remember and honor them!
    one night i was drinking at the marina and an old marine came up to me......
    long story short he said:
    (every marine has his own war to fight)
    this is true of everyone who has ever served in the world i believe. if your bitter put it aside or you will never stop fighting the war

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Welcome home Charlie,
    The Bitterness and frustration I feel is not any different or deeper than yours. I have too many good things in my life, as I'm sure you do, to let our past realities hurt us. Instead of using the word "bitter" Lets use "Wiser", and I always remember our buds that were taken too soon.

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Well said, Jer.

Welcome home, and thanks for your service.

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Welcome Home Jer, and buddy if I ever get Stateside I'll come drink that beer with you, no matter what it tastes like nor how warm it is nor the number of flies on the top!! Then we'll go drink Longliner's (and Charlie's and a few others - especially from that era!!)

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

notha C&P,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    GOD BLESS GRANDMA

Here's a quote from a government employee who witnessed a recent interaction between an elderly woman and an antiwar protester in a Metro station in D.C.
    "There were protesters on the train platform handing out pamphlets on the evils of America. I politely declined to take one.
    "An elderly woman was behind me getting off the escalator and a young (20ish) female protester offered grandma a pamphlet, which she politely declined."

"The young protester put her hand on the grandma's shoulder as a gesture of friendship, and in a very soft voice said, 'Lady, don't you care about the children of Iraq?'"

"The old woman looked up at her and said,
    'Honey, my father died in Germany during World War II; I lost my husband in the Korean War and a son in Vietnam. All three died so you could have the right to stand here and bad mouth our country. If you touch me again, I'll stick this umbrella up your *** and open it."

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Jim, that was great! I'm going to start caring around an umbrella.

Walrus, There is a guy (Limey) that is working on a 30' double ender in my yard. He flies in every 6 months and stays 2 or 3 weeks, a real nice guy, we got to be good friends the last time he was here. He doesn't say much about what he does for a living, but I can spot ex military no matter what country. I'll try to get his name and address from the marina. Then you can come with him, stay at my place, drink Becks (a neutral country to be fair)-and I'll try to explain American football and Ice Hockey to you.

Jim, I got the starter working, bolted it back on and finally got the old Perkins to turn by the starter this morning. That only took 2 years of playing around!! I think I found someone to rebuild the transmission for $400.00. I have the engine tied in the bed of my truck, because I can't put it back in the boat until the tranny is bolted back, so I'll be driving around for a week or two with the engine in the truck. This is real red neck, but I can't afford to keep paying for the rental of an engine hoist.

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

thats GREAT news Kapt..,,,man its finally commin together ,,,,maybe when everyone comes to your drinkin hole,,,ya can float over to the texas coast and pick me up,,hehe ;) ,,,, and if anyone says your a redneck,,,jus say nope,,,,thats in there fer traction in the snow,,,,always be prepared,,,hehe ;)

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Jim,
    You know what I think about Texas!! When Walrus flies in you will have to meet us here, by then I should be able to take us over to Bermuda, at least! or we can just stay in the marina, drink beer, and mohetas, and say we did.

We need to plan a Sail-in, or actually a fly-drive in. You, Charlie, Longliner, Walrus, Mas, Red, Par and a few others that we been messing with need to meet down here. Maybe this winter when it's too cold up north. Disney is close by, bring the families---something to think about---------

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

that would be nice,,,,,been along long long time since ive been surrounded by friends :)

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

even tho you old fuddy-duddy's might be small fishies,,,but i think your keepers ;),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    A Keeper

Their marriage was good, their dreams focused. Their best friends lived barely a wave away. I can see them now, Dad in trousers, work shirt and a hat; and Mom in a house dress, screw driver in one hand, and dish-towel in the other. It was the time for fixing things: a curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress. Things we keep.

It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, re-heating leftovers, renewing; I wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.

But when my mother died, and I was standing in that clear morning light in the warmth of the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more.

Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away...never to return. So... While we have it, it's best we love it... And care for it... And fix it when it's broken... And heal it when it's sick.

This is true: For marriage... And old cars... And children with bad report cards... Dogs and cats with bad hips... And aging parents... And grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep, like a best friend that moved away or a classmate we grew up with.

There are just some things that make life important,
    like people we know who are special... And so, we keep them close!
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    thought this C&P fit

Attached Files:

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Happy Fathers Day, Jim

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

HAPPY FATHERS DAY Kapt. :)

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Now, That is my kind of street.... No cars, no bitumen.... grass, trees, community involvement. and the cops will find their hardest job is to give directions to the nearest corner shop / church / school / children's activity or even U3A where the oldies can learn/play.... Good one Jim...

& Happy Fathers day..... all you dads.... and thanks....

14. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

and from me to guys, a little late I know but hell better late than never eh!! And theone, you've gon and done it again to me man! Another truism! got the old eyes moist......again! Thanks for the reminder

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

anotha C&P,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Subject: You could have heard a pin drop!

This is what Memorial Day is about. Great Blessings to our Veterans!

You could have Heard a Pin Drop

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building' by George Bush.
    He answered by saying, 'Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women
    into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in
    return is enough to bury those that did not return.

You could have heard a pin drop.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then there was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying, 'Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intended to do, bomb them?'
    A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: 'Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have 11 such ships; how many does France have? '

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S. , English, Canadian,
    Australian and French Navies. At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of officers
    that included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped
    their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, 'whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans
    learn only English.' He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather
    than speaking French?' Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied 'Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...

A group of Americans, retired teachers, recently went to France on a tour. Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on. 'You have been to France before, monsieur?' the customs officer asked sarcastically. Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously. 'Then you should know enough to have your passport ready.' The American said, 'The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it.' 'Impossible. Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France!' The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained. 'Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in '44 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find any Frenchmen to show it to.'

You could have heard a pin drop
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or
    reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.