Memorial Day

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by charmc, May 23, 2008.

1. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Monday is Memorial Day in the US, honoring those who have died in wars.

I'll remember all of us who have and still do put on a uniform and take a turn on the ramparts. A special toast to those comrades no longer with us.

A faint hope, I know, but maybe someday governments will recall the way we all offer mutual aid in the face of natural disasters and apply the same principles to working out national conflicts.

Naiive? Yeah, but it sure would be nice. :)

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

yes charmc,,,,,,,someday,,,,,,,we here in the USA give very much and expect nothing in return,,,I too hope that someday war will be a distant memory ,,,,and I for one ..will not and cannot forget the memorys of all that gave thier all to make this a free world,,,longliner

3. balsaboatmodels

balsaboatmodels Junior Member

My Grandfather, Father, Brother, and oldest nephew have been or currently are in uniform. Dad and Grandad were Navy while bro and nephew are "dry land" servicemembers.
    (well, dry at least until it rains)
    Long past relatives also wore various uniform of different services through this country's history.
    I think I understand and know I do appreciate the pieces or entirety of their lives they give.

My wife's father and stepfather were service men - her father injured in combat.

We wouldn't have our country if not for men, and women of their families, who stood up, at certain risk of great personal loss, for things in life far greater than themselves.

Thinking about it, it ain't just here that the above applies to.
    Without similar sacrifice to what we remember and honor of our own people there's many other places on this little ball of stone and water that wouldn't have what they do.

Thank whatever ultimate power or person you thank that courage to sacrifice, and courage to act in spite of fear, are still alive in this humanity.

This weekend we offer thanks for those of ours who gave and served.
    God Bless them and their families.

okay, somebody's eventually going to ask why all my family but me is service - this body has some mechanical issues which nixed that.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

now we need a "memorial day" once a week! and after that for a year,,
    then 1 a day should bout cover it hehe ;)

5. threeofme

threeofme Junior Member

both of my grandfathers served this great country to keep it free. it was an honor for me to do this same. so i answer your toast and i do hope some day conflicts can be solved with mutual aid. here here

6. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Charlie,
    Thank you for your toast to those who have paid the price of our liberty and freedom.

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i would like ta add,,,,this is a time to remember ALL our service "people",,from clerks,,to grunts,,to the ones that never left the states,and even the ones that served during peace times,,,,i remember you ALL!

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

This a Private war or can anybody join in?

9. LyndonJ

LyndonJ Senior Member

We will always remember the US boys that died in the Pacific in the 40's fighting a brave and dedicated Japanese. Horrific slaughter on beautiful atolls.

Which service are you in Mr CharmC ?

I did a turn in the Army but here in Oz we don't have to keep doing those refreshers you guys do.

All the best

10. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I dont think it is a private war,,I respect all soldiers sailors and marines ,and airman,and coastys, of all forces,who fought and died for thier beliefs,,right wrong or indifferent,,,they fought with all they had ,for what they thought was right,,that includs cong,shining path ,and even the nazis,,,,,just pawns in a big world run buy money,,,,and I speak first hand,,,but this is (our memorial day)god bless em ,,longliner

11. safewalrus

Well said 'Liner totally agree there buddy! Donovans "Universal Soldier" springs to mind - the poor grunt who for various reasons is pulled in and sent of to fight his countries battles (and often die for them), often he doesn't know why he does it - not the big picture anyway (those who did know WHO we actually fought for -bottom line - all of us!! but that's for us to know) The sad thing is that in a lot of countries just ditch the poor grunt after he's been used!! Some don't! At the moment yours is one of those who don't! Ours is getting that way! Let them enjoy their 'show off day' those who did will remember.....................................................

12. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Thanks, all, for sharing your thoughts and memories.

Lyndon, I served in the US Army back in the early 1970's.

Longliner, Walrus, we share the same feelings. Everyone who is willing to play a role in protecting his/her country is a hero.

This week I met the son of a good friend, wounded in Iraq and going through a lengthy rehab process. All he wanted to talk about was the way his unit (frontline combat) and so many other American soldiers have been trying to help Iraqis on the individual level, treating sick children, digging wells, building sanitary toilet facilities, rebuilding mosques and schools ... connecting to help people. These things rarely make the news, all we hear are the bad things. That's wrong, no other way to put it.

Two Brits have said it well:

"For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
    But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot."
    ("Tommy", Rudyard Kipling 1892)

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” (George Orwell, 1945)

13. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Good thoughts, Jim. Thanks.

14. safewalrus

Well said Charlie

Rudyard Kipling - the soldiers poet! Most of his stuff is brilliant! and so bloody true!!

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Feedom ISNT Free

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG, OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA , AND TO THE REPUBLIC, FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a problem in having 'In God! We Trust' on our money and having 'God' in the Pledge of Allegiance.

I believe it's time we stand up for what we believe!

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.