Memorable Quotes

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Meanz Beanz, Apr 30, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

If you have any doubts that we live in a society controlled by men, try reading down the index of contributors to a volume of quotations, looking for women's names.
    - Elaine Gill
    Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are.
    - Bertolt Brecht
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
    - Albert Einstein
    I could prove God statistically.
    - George Gallup

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

A perpetual holiday is a good working definition of hell.
    - George Bernard Shaw
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.
    - Judge Gideon J. Tucker
    Calamities are of two kinds: misfortunes to ourselves, and good fortune to others.
    - Ambrose Bierce
    I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect.
    - George Carlin

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.
    - Rene Descartes
    The nice thing about being a celebrity is that when you bore people, they think it's their fault.
    - Henry Kissinger
    The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.
    - B. F. Skinner
    Middle age is when you've met so many people that every new person you meet reminds you of someone else.
    - Ogden Nash

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.
    - Sir Arthur Eddington
    Music makes one feel so romantic - at least it always gets on one's nerves - which is the same thing nowadays.
    - Oscar Wilde
    I have often depended on the blindness of strangers.
    - Adrienne E. Gusoff
    Those who welcome death have only tried it from the ears up.
    - Wilson Mizner

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too.
    - Oscar Levant
    Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us.
    - Jerry Garcia
    Save a little money each month and at the end of the year you'll be surprised at how little you have.
    - Ernest Haskins
    Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.
    - Charles Kuralt
    The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would hire them away.
    - Ronald Reagan

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one.
    - Elbert Hubbard
    Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
    - Philip K. Dick
    Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together.
    - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
    The great tragedy of Science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact.
    - Thomas H. Huxley

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

The only people who find what they are looking for in life are the fault finders.
    - Foster's Law
    There is no moral precept that does not have something inconvenient about it.
    - Denis Diderot
    The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
    - Art Spander
    Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
    - Woody Allen

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

I'm glad I didn't have to fight in any war. I'm glad I didn't have to pick up a gun. I'm glad I didn't get killed or kill somebody. I hope my kids enjoy the same lack of manhood.
    - Tom Hanks
    There are two things that will be believed of any man whatsoever, and one of them is that he has taken to drink.
    - Booth Tarkington
    You cannot make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position you can make a crowd of men.
    - Max Beerbohm
    The reverse side also has a reverse side.
    - Japanese Proverb

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Eighty percent of married men cheat in America. The rest cheat in Europe.
    - Jackie Mason
    People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.
    - Dan Quayle
    A man thinks that by mouthing hard words he understands hard things.
    - Herman Melville
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.
    - George Orwell

10. bntii

bntii Senior Member

“If we could first know where we are and wither we are tending we could then better judge what to do and how to do it.”

Abraham Lincoln

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey
    The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.
    - Paul Valery
    Fall not in love, therefore; it will stick to your face.
    - National Lampoon
    Committee--a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done.
    - Fred Allen

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Whatever you may be sure of, be sure of this, that you are dreadfully like other people.
    - James Russell Lowell
    Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much.
    - John Wayne
    'So you think *I'm* the murderer? What do I have to do to convince you that I'm not, be the next victim?'/ 'Well, that would be a start.'
    - Peter Stone
    Nancy Reagan fell down and broke her hair.
    - Johnny Carson

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

The man who writes about himself and his own time is the only man who writes about all people and all time.
    - George Bernard Shaw
    Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
    - Bertrand Russell
    You must first have a lot of patience to learn to have patience.
    - Stanislaw J. Lec
    Time is that quality of nature which keeps events from happening all at once. Lately it doesn't seem to be working.
    - Anonymous

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us.
    - Maurice Maeterlinck
    This is like deja vu all over again.
    - Yogi Berra
    We need a president who's fluent in at least one language.
    - Buck Henry
    Some things have to be believed to be seen.
    - Ralph Hodgson
    There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.
    - Richard Feynma

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

He wrapped himself in quotations- as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors.
    - Rudyard Kipling
    He was a genius - that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities.
    - Robertson Davies
    But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
    - Carl Sagan
    Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    - Franklin P. Jones

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.