Interior design software

Discussion in 'Software' started by trawlerguy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. trawlerguy

trawlerguy New Member

I'm new here, and although not new to boats or interior design software but never for a boat. I want to do a refit of our 62' steel trawler and am looking for reasonable priced/freeware software. No software I have will allow me to handle hull shapes.
    BTW: Our boat was a one-off small yard build so it might be worth mentioning that if I can find a program that will allow me to make use of my data entry time for later hull data it would be worth the time and effort to do it now.

Thanks for your help, Jon
    Jon & Susan
    MV "MARIAH"
    living aboard (Simpson Bay Lagoon, St Maarten)
    Gwynn's Island Trawler,62

http://groups.msn.com/TrawlerMV/mariahgwynnsisland62.msnw

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Trawler guy, you can get Viacad for 90 bucks, it will help you doing what you are looking for you can pick up a copy on Target or Staples is probably the cheapest you will find with a good set of tools.

There are no easy to use softwares they all have a learning curve but i think this is the best bet available.

cheers

3. trawlerguy

trawlerguy New Member

Thanks CGN, I'll look into it.
    I have/use several house design programs, so understand the learning curve, but just haven't worked in the boat/hull enviroment before. I want to get the entire boat floorplan drawn up and then start with a remodel of the fwd berths. Given all the tanks/piping/structure constraints homebuilder software just ain't doing it.
    Cheers, Jon

4. CGN

CGN Senior Member

There is not such thing as a interior design software for boats, only for houses, what i mentioned is a general 3D software that has a lot of power for the cost, so you need to draw everything, you will be able to model the interior and do all those details but is nothing like a home planner software.

And yes this software is capable to model all tanks piping etc...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.