question re pod to transom

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by wandaria, May 2, 2014.

1. wandaria

wandaria New Member

Folks I have a fibreglass trihull that has an extended hull via a full width aluminium pod attached to the fibreglass transom. I have some slight leaks that needs to be fixed. Now those aren't the issue. What I would like assistance with is regarding the attachment of the aluminium pod to the fibreglass to make it waterproof. I want to ensure that water does not get into the area between the pod and transom and eventually try and works its way into the the bolt holes.

Do I put a bead of sikaflex on the inside edge of the pod when I pull the pod tight onto the back of the transom via the bolts and will the bead allround suffice, or should I completely cover the whole surface between transom and pod.

Added to that what would people recommend I use, would it be sikaflex or some other sealant.

thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.