Mechanical Fuel Pump vent tube.

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by missinginaction, Aug 2, 2014.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I agree that bad instalation methods and maintenance are a problem in all things mechanical not only boats.
    The present theory that you should have ventilation around fuel systems and fuel tank`s
    means that you are just adding fuel to the fire in the oxygen in that air where you should be trying to keep air entirely away from the presence of volitile fuels.
    Isolation of all fuel delivery to the motor must be a safer system. If no fuel-air mix can be present in the hull and bilge space of a boat that is for me. If you want to stop a fire you deprive it of air.
    I would not travel abord a boat with all of that fuel under my feet thank`s. I can go fishing in some very expensive well maintained by professional maintenance crews
    very wealthy owners boats but I can find more relaxing things to do. It is not that I am afraid for my life but just the fact that I think the risk is unnecessary and silly especially when money is not a problem
    Some of the LPG boat installation in boats in the UK have some great systems for fuel reticulation but they make the mistake of installing it all in the engine compartment.

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

http://www.perkofuelsystems.com/regulations-epa/om

Every boat I have seen burn to the waterline and sink, the fuel tank has floated away half full of fuel when they were aluminium.
    Epa uscg have now addressed the vent line and you can now add charcoal canister to a tank vent line.
    Add an efi engine and your getting very safe
    I have them on my race boats as helps the environment and little to no smell coming out, win win along with low permeate hose.
    Cheers

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

It`s an on-going saga of more band-aids and compolsory Regulation for a badly conceived idea-concept.
    www.boatsafetyscheme.org/
    www.mysticpowerboats.com/mystic-news/fuel-system-safety-tips/
    The original French c1900 the long tailed boat now used in many old french colonies is probably the safest fuel system with the fuel system and fuel tank on deck..but you can just abot guanantee that the operator would have some spare fuel below decks.

Have we solved the problem of the mechanical fuel pump vent tube yet? There would be little chance of enforcing Boating Regulations in the poorer countries..they would come to a standstill.

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I guess its all gone wrong since outboards stopped having the fuel tank on the powerhead

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.