Want to have a go

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lack, Jun 23, 2010.

1. lack

lack New Member

gday all,
    for quite a few years now ive wanted to build my own all purpose center console to suite my needs,can anyone give me some tips and maybe point me in the right direction on obtaining plans materials etc....
    iam a panelbeater by trade and also weld alloy....
    cheers peoples

2. raw

raw Senior Member

Lack,

I have some offshore capable options that might suit you depending on what you had in mind.

Send me a pm with your contact details (email etc) and a little more information and I'll get back to you. Also Queensland Based.

Raw

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

:idea: For a one off id do a cardboard and masking tape mock up first to get a simple basic shape ,you can cut and add and change quickly .
    Then move on to something better like 3 of 4 mm mdf board also taped together and do some long hard thinking and sitting behind etc etc even to the point of putting it into the boat if its possible . Do paper cut outs of instruments and make a shape for the controls etc etc . Remember its got to be functional !!,sit or standing behind and around all sides ,once its been totally sorted and the bugs ironed out choose what materials you are going to make it from !. :D

4. lack

lack New Member

thanks peoples...
    ive had a bit of a play around with sheet metal models,i think i have the or some basic knowlege of how it all goes together,but iam hear to learn as much as i possably can before i start...

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Dont be in to much of a hurry to make the console . Pull up a chair and sit with a cup of tea ! do you have a place where you can stand a cup ?
    I used to close my eyes and think of every situation i would or could be in . The placement of gauges and electronics etc etc also engine controls ! on top is out of the way and easy to walk past .WHAT about a grab handle or two and where ? Sitting do you have place for you feet is it comfortable ? What about the wheel in the middle or off to one side ? what about the angle of the wheel ? remember its got to be comfortable standing or sitting . is the console wide enough for two people to shelter behind or just one ? can you fit a screen ? what color should the screen be ? How thick ? should or could it havs a grab rail round the outside ?
    Need a clip board and lots a paper as well as another cup of tea !!
    Dont forget access to the inside of the console !, you may need to almost get inside so make it big and water tight !!

While i worked in Korea the company was making a brand 23 foot fishing boat . The very clever young lady boat designer (Su Jung Lee ) drew this huge console . I took one look and laughted but once we made it made and placed it in the boat i saw the huge adantages that it had ,i was absolutly sold on the idea by the end of the day .
    Had a lift up front with gas struts a bit like the old VW cars .
    Stepped over a lip and one step down inside there was a Chemical toilet in one corner , was a basin in the other corner , Places to hang coats and gear etc etc , plus it was lockable .
    There was full access to all the gauges and cables and pipes etc etc .
    Almost enough room to stand comfortably for most people!.
    A glass non sip floor that was lift out to get to the bilge in that area .
    For a family fishing Boat it was the best idea i have seem in a long long time ! .

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Pics of the console

This is the console used ! I wasnt there when the boat was finished ,I was working on a racing /cruising yacht in another factory .There is no seat they wanted a soft padded bolster to lean hard into instead but ,there is a double seat with lift ups and a cushion facing aft just behind it .
    If you look inside the opening theres a lip where the floor fits ,

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.