Mayo

Discussion in 'Materials' started by yipster, Jul 11, 2003.

1. yipster

yipster designer

cant find "mayonaise" under the search button while i recall reading an old thread, maybe my spelling? "mayo" 8knt calls it i found is a glasbubble or talk mix into the resin to mayo thickness witch sands of great?
    questions:
    just plain use without glas? apply with knife? sands really great? can be finished with topcoat paint? weight considerations? or how to get the laminate real smooth?

:mad: / :) :?:
    yipster

2. yipster

yipster designer

did some tests, calc or foamdust mix works great too and wow, it DOES sand of great, what a difference! potlive is much longer, it drips more than real mayo :D

3. yipster

yipster designer

that were tests... and sanding the wrong side of polyster still remains a dogs job (had to use a male mold) mixing calc in resin i read here only reduces total laminate price, stiffens the laminate and reduces shrink but makes it also more moist sensitive... glasbubbles make it -like foamdust i guess- easy(er) to sand?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Glass bubbles or microballons are "easier":) to sand. The main reason is that there is less material to take out, the rest is air. However they need to be sealed. There is always the danger of water entering the laminate through capillary action.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

microballoons vs. microspheres

I can't remember the difference between microballoons and microspheres - can someone refresh my memory?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Microballoons are made from phenolic resin and microballoons are easier to sand than microspheres.

Microspheres are made from quartz / glass

Fumed silca will help prevent running and sagging while maintaining a higher density. Microballoons or microspheres both result in a lower density lighter mix, but still run and sag.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.