Maybe, maybe not

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by valery gaulin, Oct 23, 2021.

?

Should I build?

1. Maybe

90.0%
  2. Maybe not

10.0%
  1. valery gaulin

valery gaulin Senior Member

Here is the link to the 3D model. If you use Autodesk Fusion 360 viewer I think ypu can all see it in 3D and move the model arpund to see more details.

https://a360.co/3jrIwMn

Let me know if it works!

2. valery gaulin

3. Tops

Tops Senior Member

The link is working for me, thanks!

valery gaulin likes this.
  4. valery gaulin

Slowly building a 1/10 th model to see if this design could make some sense!

Attached Files:

Tops, mc_rash and bajansailor like this.
  5. reginasilke

reginasilke New Member

I think one can never be too sure whether what they designed is good enough or not, there is always some level of of doubt, the best thing would just to put it out there for people to see, you might be surprised that people actually love it.
    And this applies to all sectors in life.

6. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

How much of that transom is going to be in the water?

valery gaulin and Tops like this.
  7. Tops

Tops Senior Member

VG-Nice model. When I saw it, I though that a 3D printer would be a nice way to make the rudders and bulb keels.
    Adding a waterline to the 3D viewer file would be good. Have you done any weight and volume calculations with the software?

8. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

What's the intended purpose?

Why are the keels so high in aspect, given that the very high freeboard, very wide beam and low-aspect rig would probably create very high side loads and intrinsically very low speeds?

9. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

It is safe to say the design is unique and easy to see why if you consider how it would work.
    It is too wide to trailer -The massive form stability might imply performance potential but the chunky greenhouse, traditional low aspect sail plan and engine weight squelch that thought. The only attribute you will get is faster role motion.
    It has twin keels sacrificing performance for tidal simplicity.
    It has a huge glass greenhouse and no outdoor portion -there is no apparent way in or out forward or aft, no way around, no way to clean the outside of all that glass. No clues of ventilation.
    The chosen rig is Gaff cutter -takes lots of management, accentuates the problem of access outside the greenhouse and the mast blocks access to the forward cabin. You must walk on the greenhouse roof to tend the rig, so it can't be as light as it looks.
    The portion under the greenhouse floor is huge -bigger than mechanical room could need, and the floor would need to be sealed because the large glass wouldn't stand up to a knockdown.

My assessment is that this is far short of a design in the boat sense -more of a massing study that only answers the question "are these proportions too intrinsically ugly to pursue further?"
    That is the one success. But that begs the question "What would one look like that actually worked?" My suspicion -not pretty.
    What comes to my mind is just get an Oday 32 center cockpit and build a brilliant dodger/greenhouse.

ODay-32CC-drawings-b.gif (2580×3810) (buy-a-boat.com)

10. valery gaulin

I will try to share an image later with the waterline. The transom will be out of the water.

11. valery gaulin

Thanks, I did start weight and volume calculation. Light displacement will be around 6 000 lbs and heavy displacement is around 7 500 lbs. The weight so far seams to be around 5750 lbs to probably 6250 lbs.

12. valery gaulin

Keel design are not final but twin keel high aspect ratio are more effective than twin keel low aspect ratio.

13. valery gaulin

Alot of comments!!! Thank for all your points theu are all valid and were considered and still considered in the design phase.

Access to the forward part of the boat with the raise deck saloon pilothouse is taken in consideration. The solution will be analyse with my 1/10th model. I am trying to maximize interior space. Forward access might be from a hatch or maybe reducing the pilothouse width not sure yet.

For the rig my intension is for the mast to be right inside the pilothouse located at the middle bulkhead with all the line inside the pilothouse, peak and troat hayllard, etc... Wheel steering also right at this location on the middle bulkhead.

The enclose pilothouse , greenhouse as you called it, will be all flexible plactic panel used on standard soft cloth enclosure that can be fully open and rolled up , except for the forward window it will be plexiglass. The drawing does not show this at this moment.

14. valery gaulin

As it was ask, the intended purpose is for lake sailing and coastal used. My sailing ground is around Montreal, lake Champlain and the ST-Laurence river.

The goal is to have a good motorsailer with maximum livebility and good protection from the element with a descent sailing speed.

The sail area is around 550 sq. ft. Gaff cutter. Displacement 6500-7000 lbs. With a 25 feet waterline lenght and a very good form initial stability, 4 feet draft with twin keel for a total of 2000 lbs of ballast, each keel will be around 1000 lbs.

BlueBell and Skyak like this.

15. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Yes, this is the intended purpose I inferred from your location. My experience is limited with that area but I would add
    -world class gorgeous fresh water cruising grounds greatly limited by season.
    -open sailing areas punctuated with granite shallows and seasonal grass fouling.
    -deep water channels with high-speed currents populated by freighters -some places are hazardous to boats that can't do 7+ knots.
    -expensive marinas and unlimited options for protected anchorage
    My boat was built for that area -a conservative 9M center cockpit trimaran with a strong crash keel.

I think you would be better served by a longer narrower boat that fits on a trailer and has a swing keel.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.