May Be More Of Us, Soon

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Dave Fleming, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming Old Geezer

Well Tar Devil, say something, then!

:D

2. clyderigged

clyderigged New Member

I generally am not a follower, but I don't want to miss any of Dave Fleming and others' knowledge on turning trees into boats. I learned a lot at the WB forum and always hope to learn more about the magic shipwrights do. Wire splicing I understand but what alchemy is needed to properly spile a plank. ;)

Looking forward to learning more on keeping my Tahiti ketch alive and well.

Dave - next time your at the SD maritime museum please say hello to Jeff Saar, Jim Davis, and the rest of the gang on the Star of India for me.

Jamie White

3. Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming Old Geezer

Jamie!!!
    I was lookin' for ye. Our man at the SD Musuem did mention you and enjoyed his visit up there. Good fellow, is our Jeff aka Chipito on his infrequent visits to the WB Forums.
    He presented SWIMPAL and I with invitations for one of the Media, early 1900's steam yacht, luncheon cruises for our 42nd. Wedding Anniv. We both enjoyed it very much and the Sherry, the wine, the food, the coffee, the cheesecake.

Not too shabby says I.;)

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Well, I say welcome to you all:D
    I've not spent much time in any other forum(s) - all that I require can be found right here - with enormous thanks, as alway, to Jeff.
    We all work hard to keep things on topic, so a little more expertise is always a welcome thing.....

5. mmd

mmd Senior Member

It's feeling very homey here already.

6. David N.

David N. New Member

Howdy all ,
    While I'am not a wooden boat builder , I do enjoy reading how to ( sort of ) .

7. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

HI guys and girls :)

Always great to get more folks to the forum, but please bear in mind a couple of things...

This is BOATDESIGN.NET, where we are primarily into boats and their design. please post any questions regarding design, boat building education in the correct forum and keep the "what boat should I get" and other non boatdesign related posts in the open discussion forum.

Woodenboat's forum might have been a forum like any other (don't know, didn't go there much) but this one isn't. This is a place where real NA's and boatdesigners hang out and where aspiring designers take their first trembling steps into the world of boat design. So try to keep the level as high as you personally can. What I mean by that is that if boatdesign.net starts to change into a general boating forum the real designers will go away, and those of us that are learning a lot from these guys will get very sad.

Also it's a good thing to remember that even though Jeff is from the US we are many who aren't, and doesn't type fluent english so please be nice to us :)

Have a great boatdesign.net experience

[have I put myself on a high horse now? Didn't meant to]

8. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Erik,

LOL!!!:D and I meant it.

Gary :D

9. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Didn't mean to be funny...

So why the big smile?

Hmm... maybe the high horse quote wasn't english after all... :D

Well I guess som smiling won't hurt... :D :D :p

Ok now, since there is almost no reason to smile, or to get the shades :cool: out again until spring.

I'll be quiet now, waiting for the spring to come around the corner :)

10. Oyster

Oyster Guest

Question, Erik, with no face, but imput of knowledge or comments on boats, without a P.A. or N.A. piece of paper, is restricted? That may keep it quite quiet, for a while. Thanks for the clarification in advance.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think what erik g means is that we are mainly interested about boat design, construction and handling. There are related subjects, like anchorages and legal requirements, that pertain to the site. Postings are mostly technical. The "Apache is back" posting got a bit heated. The problem, as in one other, was with some people posting very negative comments anonymously. I think that overall it has been a rare occurrence, which attests to the ethics of the members.

12. Dutch Rub

Dutch Rub Junior Member

HI all ! thanks for the invite! Looks like a pretty happenin place.! I cant wait!

13. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Hear hear Gonzo

Hi Oyster

Anyone can ask any question about design, construction, repair etc. and I'm sure they'll get lot's of answers, just please keep it in the right forum section.

I sure as hell have no official qualifications, and I don't think I have any more right than anyone else to hang around here.

I just hope that all the new visitors will respect and keep to the style, and hopefully add, to the homey feeling we have here already.

Clear enough? Probably not, i'm never very clear am I :D

So Welcome Oyster

14. Dutch Rub

Dutch Rub Junior Member

Yup welcome Sir Oyster!

15. Memphis Mike

Memphis Mike New Member

C'mon home now Dutch. Who let you out?