May Be More Of Us, Soon

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Dave Fleming, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming Old Geezer

Was spending my online Forum time over at WoodenBoat but think I will be spending more here.
    Perhaps we will see more of them drift here in the future.

Some pretty savvy people have posted over in those Forums, like to see them here.

Or so says I.

Edited: to clean out stuff that I was rash to post last night.
    :eek:

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Hi, Dave. Nice to see you here. Quiet 'n' peaceful-like, isn't it?

3. Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming Old Geezer

Ayup Mike and, just the way I like it.

If I wanted to wade in blood and gore I would still be living on 'thioty thoid and thoid' in Greenpert, Brooklyn.

Folla?

Wha'cha been up to besides cleaning up after the big blow?

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Hi Dave

I have to agree that things have changed a lot at WB forum. I visit there less and less but it is still the place to go if you love wooden boats. I have learned many things from that forum. I sure hope it doesn’t self destruct.

I know your knowledge will also be appreciated here.

Gary :D
    G. Schollmeier, at WB

5. Meerkat

Meerkat New Member

Whereever you go, there you are! :)
    Different place, different rules. I love sailboats.

Pax!

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Dave, I've been spending a lot of time on the arrangements, outfit, & shop drawings for the reproduction of the 1927 vintage 59-ft Burgess staysail schooner "Nina" currently under construction at Covey Island Boatworks. The usual juggling of quarter-inches to make a modern yacht look like it has absolutely no modern features under it's 1920's skin. Fussy things like, "How do you hide twin diesels in a classic interior layout?" Lots of fun, but never enough time. Next up looks like an 1890's Crowninshield 90-ft gaff schooner. I love my job, I love my job, I love my job!

7. Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming Old Geezer

Mike, am I correct in thinking you have been doing a bit of work for Covey Island recently?

NINA was one of my 'first loves' when I got the boat bug, look at me now! A rum sodden old boatbuilder. Ain't life grand?

:) :D

8. htom

htom Junior Member

[sigh]

He is always making "better idiots", which in BBS terms means "nastier trolls". I don't think that moving here is really going to help in the long run (and I assume that I am not one of the problems you're trying to avoid!)

9. doorstop

doorstop New Member

Attitude, it's all about attitude. I hope this is as nice a place to visit as the "Woodenboat" forum once was..... and I trust it will stay that way.

10. Mac

Mac New Member

All,

I also got bored by those long silly and totally uninteresting discussions. Not to mention people getting personal :mad:

Not being located in America nor being American makes it also hard (impossible) to understand most of it anyway..

Have been looking around on this forum ( thanks for the tip Dave) and it looks like a nice place.

For the 'natives' of this forum:
    I live in Denmark, and I am building a 27 ft John Hesp designed bermudan cutter in wood and epoxy.

Constuction started in may this year, but winter is comming here, so I have hauled all my machines and tools out of the construction hall (i.e. tent ) and moved everything to the workshop.

Hope to make the rudder this winter.

11. Oyster

Oyster Guest

Going to the burn barrel, on break, got mighty ugly. Ain't going there no more. Some folks need to find a better hobbie and life, than sitting behind a computer all day and night. Maybe someone is allowing the cancer to kill "IT" or to wither on the vine. Thanks Dave.

As far as my daily routine, I am working on a new 17' garvey of yacht proportions, built for Mamma. We have the kids out of the house, except for a few pop-in trips, so we are fishing when weather permits,, and cathing trout, bluefish, flounder, and the old standby hogfish, for the winter freezer delights.

12. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Oh, Doorstop, this place has its moments as well. Have a read of the thread 'Apache is back' in powerboats forum. Woodenboat never got that crazy (or did it?).

But I have learned some things even from the nasty 'Apache is back' thread. I now know not to say 'splasher' or 'poper' to fiberglass boat manufacturers - and sailbloat to sailing fans.

On a positive note, have a look at Dim's Cad work in the gallery - Wow!

13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

MarkC, as acrimonious as the "Apache" thread may have gotten, it was at least on-topic for a boat forum. The difficulties being experienced at the other location is due to the participants wanting to bring sex, politics, and religion into the mix.

In actual fact, I think that the discussion of other boat forums is not germane to our participation on this one, so I have decided to not post here anymore on what is or was a problem with the WB Forum. So, respectfully to all, this is my last on this topic.

14. Dave Fleming

Dave Fleming Old Geezer

Mike's on track here people. We don't need to bring our dirty laundry from 'the other place' over t'here.
    I edited my initial post to this thread to eliminate the
    'negative waves'

Folla?
    ;)

15. Tar Devil

Tar Devil New Member

Hi Folks.

Wow! You can hear a pin drop in this place!

Later,

Phil