Help!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Peter H, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Peter H

Peter H Junior Member

I need a simple 3d program so can anyone tell me about any simple program for rookies:)

2. Gades

Gades Senior Member

I cannot thing of anyone one right now.
    But do think that with a simple 3D program you'll get a simple result. So what are you after?

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Hi Peter,

Take a look at ProSurf from New Wave Systems

I don't think there's any such thing right now as '3d modeling for rookies' - there is a little bit of a learning curve involved with any 3d software so if you put some time in to learn the software and methodology to use it effectively, very soon you're no longer a rookie - but ProSurf is very easy and intuitive to get started with, plus the student price at $250 is very generous.

Also take a look at Rhino which is commonly used for the type of deck, cabin, and detail modeling I envision you doing. I find it quite a bit more difficult than ProSurf to get started with, but there is a free demo you can try, so see if you might like to learn to work in that program as well. Also a very good student price.

If I were you for that matter, I would download every one of the demos from http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82 including Rhino and http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83 just so you have an idea of the software which is currently available in the industry.

4. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Just something else, if you're thinking about 3D I guess that you already know 2D. If you do, just think that you need to be able to visualize 3D in your mind. Then, it shouldn't take too much effort to get into 3D.
    It is a lot more fun than 2D, but you do need 2D before getting into 3D.

Well, it was just an advice.

Good luck with your demos!

Also, you could get in touch with one of the forum members (Polarity), he just started with 3D; so he might be able to give you some feedback.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.