Maxsurf to Freeship

Discussion in 'Software' started by GavinM, Oct 25, 2011.

1. CmbtntDzgnr

CmbtntDzgnr Senior Member

Hehehe.... "catastrophically great number of control points"... I was thinking "debilitating", hehehee...

I exported FROM Free!Ship my model as dxf. Imported into PolyCAD. Saved as PolyCAD. Re-imported into Free!Ship. Ended up with around 1,549 leak points. Tha's not just the above-waterline control points, but the hull as well. But, it depends on the exact changes one makes to the surfaces or curves, too, I think, to get it to some manageable number.

I love the CAD-like approach to hull design in PolyCAD, but thoroughly enjoy the various reports of Hydronship. In Free!Ship, my eye-hand use of the control curves/porcupines is not fine enough, and my exported dxf surfaces have undulations that sometimes won't thicken properly to 16mm, but will to 1mm or 6mm. In PolyCAD, I can manually enhance my curves to be much easier on the ACIS kernel in Punch! ViaCAD (although it would be nicer if ACIS could figure out how to pre-fair lines and ask the user to allow it for the sake of making a surface thickenable to the amount the user needs/wants), and that makes PolyCAD a new star for my took chest.

2. hans

hans BOC

Hi GavinM.

I might be able to help. Send me a private mail

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.