maxsurf to freeship!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by pavel915, Dec 5, 2006.

1. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

Is it possible to export e hull from maxsurf to free ship??? as free ship provides a good information about haydrostatics and cross curves,,, so rapidly!
    can you tell any technique to do that?
    thanks!

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Hi Pavel, You can probably use diferent ways, the manual of freeship have some direction on "how to" on how to import "chines" for chined hulls or "control curves" for round hulls, it may not be "perfect" but should be close, or,

Maxsurf and freeship "works" or "handle" in similar way, so you can "re-type" all the vertexes coordinates on freeship and you should have a very close surface (hull) to the one on maxsurf.

3. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

I did this a long time ago, let's see.
    I found that Freeship sometimes had problems importing correctly and that the best way was to create offsets and tick "create markers from offsets" in Maxsurf first, save the markers file and import it to Excel. You will then have to edit it to match the rules and format of the import chines command in Freeship. The hull I used was not a chined hull, but that option gave the best result anyway.

This way, you can decide the accuracy yourself (by the number of stations and waterlines you create in Maxsurf). There are rules for column order, station spacing etc that I don't remember... Check the file Chines Import Demo.txt that comes with the Freeship installation (0 at the top means metric and 1 imperial).

End result should be something that gives resistance curves in the Delft Yacht Series command (if you are within the constraints of Delft), takes some time to get right...

Mikey

4. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Surface, not chine

Now what did I do to get it to work? I think I must correct myself;

Format that I did in Excel matches that of the "Chines Import Demo.txt" file, yes. BUT, I imported it as SURFACE, not as chines as I wrote in previos post.
    You must go to project and project settings and enter the main dimensions before you can do any calculations
    In the Delft - Resitance for Sailing yachts screen: Draft of hull must be lower than total draft, the same won't work

Mikey

5. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

The new release of FREE!ship will support IGES import. If you send an IGES file from Maxsurf to info@freeship.org I'll convert it to a FREE!ship file for you.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Hi Martijn,
    That is good news indeed :) it isn't always easy to import into Freeship.
    Is it IGES nurbs or polylines?

Mikey

7. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

It will be really nice !
    Martijn_VE , can we know when that version will come????

8. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

To be more specific: Iges entity 128,
    (NURB surfaces in plain English)
    At the moment only non-rational surfaces are imported (all weights 1.0)

We're currently testing the new release, so it shouldn't take that long anymore.

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

New Free!ship?

:D:D:D:D:D Yay!

10. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Nurbs import is great :!: There are weird things happening when importing to Freeship, with control points ending up where they shouldn't and it's the re-fairing effort that stopped me from going on. Could have been "**** in, **** out" and my input file that was bad, but it didn't look that way.

Freeship does not use nurbs so how do you do that, Translate? Somehow? :confused: Difficult task! How accurate would it be?

Great Effort, I am sure that more people will use Freeship with Nurbs import

Mikey

11. CGN

CGN Senior Member

"Freeship does not use nurbs so how do you do that, Translate? Somehow? Difficult task! How accurate would it be?"

The task is not hard IMO, just type the same coordinates of the control points of the surfaces in maxsurf into a new surface in Freeship and should give you a similar result you can do the same in rhino or prolines, they all work similar and the nurb cage is controlled in similar way, it may not be 100%accurate but should be close enough.

12. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Will some re-fairing have to be done? That is the main point as people won't want to do that.

13. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

It will be nice!
    then ,,, freeship will be more and more popular for Naval architects and I think the all high cost software campany will learn from freeship that - with out any cost "freeship" is providing a sweet job for the Naval architects and they should thik about their sooooooo high price!
    Good job freeship!!!:):):)

14. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Is not 100% accurate it may be little "tweak" of some of the vertex but not re-fairing all of all the model, but i do like the idea of import of iges surfaces there is no doubt that will be the best way to go.

15. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Any plans to include "true nurbs" in Freeship?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.