Maxsurf system in large ships.

Discussion in 'Software' started by tiochen, Jul 24, 2007.

1. tiochen

tiochen New Member

:( Hello everybody.

Nice to meet this forum and its people.

I'm student on Naval Engeenering (naval architecture in English) and i'm preparing my final project. It's about a general cargo ship of 20000TPM and double hull. I'm using maxsurf system and i'm having a lot of problems with Hydromax module.

I'm using HydromaxPro V11.42 (at this moment i'm not really sure but it's V11.??). At this moment i'm developing the compartment definition (in general, 5 cargo holds with two tweendeck at each side and the necesary double hull and double bottom spaces, at last more than 80 spaces). I tried all ways that my poor brain invented but the result was always the same: "AN UNNEXPECTED ARGUMENT HAS BEEN ENCUENTERED"

I formed compartments directly, with boundary surfaces (one plane for each side and bounded edges), with linked negative compartments, with trimmed surfaces, without trimmed surfaces, wiht high precision, with low precision, etc. And at last the result was the same.

I'm a bit desesperate and i donĀ“t know what to do. I'm very interested in using Maxsurf because it's very complete and i can doing all the calculations that i need with this software, but IT DOSEN'T RUN.

I would be very pleasant if you could help me.

Thank you.

2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

tiochen

Please email your maxsurf design and hydromax compartment definition to support@formsys.com describing your problem. If your design is making the program crash they will determine the cause and provide a fix for you.

3. tiochen

tiochen New Member

Thank you very much Andrew. But I have just a problem.

My copy of maxsurf is not legal. (Sorry i'm student and i can't pay the fares for this programs)

Do you know another solution? If i could debbug the program i'll detect the error and bypass it. Do you know if it's possible?

4. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Hmmm,

Probably not a great idea admitting that to Andrew!

It seems to be a growing trend on this forum though, to ask questions about how to use software. If you have a legal copy you would have the manual and support desk to help you. The support is what you pay for.

5. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

OK, that explains the error message, cracked versions do not work.

Is it possible for your university to purchase Maxsurf and Hydromax? We have extremely good educational prices to outfit an entire classroom with software, so you may be surprised how little it costs.

If you are interested contact CarolynH(at)formsys.com for pricing (obviously replacing the (at) with an @)

No, there is no other solution.

6. tiochen

tiochen New Member

Thank you

Hi Andrew and PI.

Sorry Andrew for craking your work. I know that it's now good for us at last.
    The problem is that my university is.... We must develop a project but the tools you need are your problem. After years we've now the foran system (halleluja!!). But it's late for me. I started it with Maxsurf. I think that i'll use some of the free software that exists.

Thank you for your help.

7. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I will do my best to try and reduce this "trend" -- Discussing cracked software or "*****" is not and cannot be permitted here.

I definitely empathize with those who cannot economically afford great software -- in my student days I was there too -- but it's not respectful or fair to the software developers who spend thousands of hours building their software and then come here on top of that to offer free advice and help for anyone to come to a forum such as this and discuss stealing their work - any more than it would be for them to come here and discuss stealing your designs and mass producing the yacht without giving you a penny.

Obviously now that most all software companies man their own individual forums/online support desks (which was not the case when we started), a forum such as this one is a common landing spot for those who cannot seek support through official channels.

But I believe this forum in which all software is discussed, rather than exclusively focusing on one particular software suite, has value too, to provide a different perspective and advice from those who may be using the same set of tools as well as those using different sets of tools on how to approach specific problems.

Please click the "flag for moderator" button if you ever see a post that is discussing illegal software.

(I will leave this thread here for a week before deleting it)

Thank you for your understanding.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.