Maxsurf:Surface from a set of markers

Discussion in 'Software' started by ivansalasj, Oct 8, 2004.

1. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Dear friends,

Surprise surprise, I need some help.

I am at the moment doing some research and to do that i have had to create a 3d hull form from an original lines plan for several ships. I have used Maxsurf Pro but i am stuck. I have managed to get a hull form described by markers but i really need a surface to be able to test the hull forms in a cfd program and get some results. If somebody could give me some help i will be very greatful,

Thanks
    Ivan

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Sounds like you need to open a surface and form it, so it corresponds with the markers.
    But I'm really not the person to tell you, drop an email to Andrew Mason (find him in the members list). He sells and designs the program and can tell you all about it!

BTW: good luck

{Added} Sorry, wanted to give you the email of Andrew straight away, but it's not in his profile. Don't worry, he'll pick up your posting! Be patient.

3. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Thanks for you help, ill be patient but somebody mentioned about a prefit option which i don t have

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

ivansalasj

You can do it manually, but it is time consuming and requires a fair bit of skill/experience with the program.

The Prefit option is really two options -
    1. The original Prefit program, which uses a surface skinning method to fit a surface accross a set of hull sections. This is similar to the surface skinning you get in Rhino and most other general purpose CAD programs, however it does not really give very good results if the surface is complex.

2. The "Fit to Markers" command in Maxsurf, which is enabled when you purchase Prefit. This fits a surface to an arbitrary cloud of data points (i.e. they don't have to be just transverse sections, you can have waterline, buttock, diagonal or surface edge data), and the points can be in random order.

This method uses an optimisation method based on a Genetic Agorithm to minimise the error between the data points and the fitted surface while simultaneously trying to keep the surface fair and the control point net regular. As a result the final surface can be exceptionally good, although the method can take a long time to calculate.

Hope this helps

5. hello

hello Junior Member

but it is very difficult for eage of plan surface with bending surface.
    just like for ship with flat side and flat bottom

the surface at that place is very to fit with numbs surface

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.