Which CAD program for simple 3D drawings of the exterior of a boat?

Discussion in 'Software' started by RSD, Jan 16, 2023.

1. RSD

RSD Junior Member

Its about time I moved away from old school paper and pencil, is Fusion 360 any good for creating a drawing like this? Or do I need software that is more expensive? (currently using the free version of F360).
    [​IMG]

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Just 'bumping' this back up for you RSD, as I don't know anything about programmes like this, but I am interested to see opinions which others on here might have.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Based on the illustration in the original post, RSD is asking about rendering a 3D model. For such renderings first the 3D model needs to be created. Rhino is probably the most commonly used software for 3D modeling of boat exterior surfaces. Cost in the US is around $1000. Whether that is expensive depends on what it is compared to.

After the 3D model is created rendering software can be used to create a rendering. Renderings can vary from simple illustrations to "photo realistic". Some 3D software modeling such as Rhino includes rendering capabilities. There are also stand-alone rendering software which may have additional capabilities. Cost of rendering software varies significantly.

fallguy likes this.

4. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

Go for Rhino, it is the best...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.