Maxsurf modeler- paramstrization of .3 dm file

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gozde, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Gozde

Gozde New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to run parametric transformation of hull created in Rhino. I set up the surface properties as symmetrical in Maxsurf . When I run the parametrization, it has failed everytime. Either it has given an error or it has scaled surfaces which were not a ship hull anymore, they were just rectangular solids. Also, the beam is calculated zero in parametric transformation window.
    Does anybody have a solution about this issue?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Could you show us your .msd file and provide us with the data of what you want to do?
    Maybe the transformation you want to make is not possible, it's too big.

3. Gozde

Gozde New Member

Sorry I cannot share the file, maybe the problem is what you said. Is the file size too big?

4. Gozde

Gozde New Member

I have tried three different hull form that I created in rhino. All of them gave the same error.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I want to say that the transformation, not the file, can be too big, be outside the limits admitted by the software. Can you explain with figures what you want to do?. If not, it is difficult to give you any valid answer.

6. Livia

Livia New Member

Hi. I am Livia. I found myself with the same problem when I tried to do parametric transformation in Maxsurf modeler with the hull created in Rhino. The beam is detected zero in parametric transformation and due to this reason I can not make any changes of the hydrodynamic coefficients and even other dimensions. Also I tried with other different hulls and it has failed with all of them. I attach to this forum the file .msd so that you may help me to find the error and how to fix it. Thank you very much,
    Yours faithfully,
    Livia

Attached Files:

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Parametric transformation function is available in Maxsurf Pro only. May be this is the problem.

8. Livia

Livia New Member

I have the Maxsurf Pro. At the beginning of february I didn’t have problems on doing parametric transformation. However, now when I need to do some changes with my hull I can not. This error doesn’t occur only with the Maxsurf installed in my computer but also with the Maxsurf installed in my university’s computers. I asked my colleagues and teachers for help but they didn’t find the problem why this error occur. Thank you for your help.
    Yours faithfully,
    Livia

9. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Livia try flipping the surfaces/control points to the other side.

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

bhnautica may be right. Try to simplify the surfaces and the model in general. Compact points on surfaces that are on a common edge. Try to remove or change the surface of the stern to see what the model does. If Maxsurf worked before, it is, without a doubt, a defect in the model. Make various changes in it to see what happens.

11. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

I flipped the surfaces and had no problems. I would also do what Tansl suggested

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.