Freeship Hydrostatics Trim

Discussion in 'Software' started by goolawah, Aug 22, 2006.

1. goolawah

goolawah Junior Member

I'm getting fairly close to building a prototype of my design. Trying to check hydrostatics before actually cutting any ply. I'm just trying to get my heads around how this works but cannot figure out the significance of the "Trim" parameter.

On the same prototype design (LOA = 3.106 m), with all other hydrostatics settings the same, I tried Trim settings of -0.5, 0.0 and +0.5 These variations seem to change all the other hydrostatic calculations but I don't understand what the Trim parameter refers to and cannot relate it to the changes it causes.

I would appreciate any helpful advice on this.

2. jam007

jam007 Junior Member

From the FREE!Ship forum:

By: Marven - marvenProject Admin
    RE: Trim mesurement
    2006-03-20 05:58
    Thierry,

Trim is indeed in meters (or feet). It is the difference in draft measured at the forward end and aft end of the waterline or difference in draft between aft perp. and forw. perp. depending on the project settings. But by default the trim angle in degrees would be trimangle=arctan(trim/length).

Hope it helps

Anders

3. goolawah

goolawah Junior Member

All clear now. Thanks for quick reply.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.