MAXSURF Help Please

Discussion in 'Software' started by Xanthetsy, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Xanthetsy

Xanthetsy New Member

Hi all

I'm a new member here and would really appreciate if anyone can help me with this.

I've a lifeboat model which I can't really open in Maxsurf (due to the fact that I can only open up to 6 surfaces). Tried using rhino and all sort of methods but didn't.. work well..:(

My problem: the surface of my bow just isn't smooth at all. I've no idea how to solve it (new maxsurf user; just reading manuals and watching tutorials) and hence, tried Add Surface>Yacht > adjusting to an ideal bow shape... BUT how do i join my exisiting surface and the new surface?? It's saying that my control points&stiffness must be the same.

Anyone who knows how to create bow? or join the surfaces???

will greatly appreciate it!

PS: attached are either surface to be smooth or to join the two surfaces together

Attached Files:

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Both models look the same or at least very similar.
    I would advise making a model with many fewer sections, trying to use water lines instead of cross sections. With water lines, you might define the bow much better. Make a surface for the hull and one for the cover and not try to unite them, is not necessary. While remaining separate, Maxsurf treat them properly and consider the volume enclosed by them.

3. Xanthetsy

Xanthetsy New Member

@TANSL

Thank you! As a matter of fact, i'm supposed to work with this model and input to stability and motions. If i do not join it does it affect my results later? I do not have the waterlines or anything else because I imported these marker from an existing model. Or actually, do i need any other info. with using waterline?? thanks!

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think you can use the model as it is now for calculations of naval architecture. Imperfections in the bow will not cause appreciable differences with a more perfect model.
    Maxsurf usually closes the existing "gaps" between two adjacent surfaces. Needless, in most cases, close the gap or join the two surfaces.
    Working with markers is very laborious and it is no way to get exactly the surfaces pass the markers. Therefore, it is always preferable to use commands like "loft" between curves in space. I never use markers, are not reliable at all. Many people use Rhino or AutoCAD to create model surfaces that, in igs format, can be exported to Maxsurf. This will prevent much suffering.

5. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Xanthetsy To bond surfaces in maxsurf they must have the same number of control points and stiffness. The bad bow surface was that it got twisted, top to the bottom (see file). As Tansl pointed out try to keep things simple use the least amount to get what you want. I used the yacht surface in one of the files as a base then manipulated that to get close to the original shape with just one surface.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.