Questions on tugs: Bollard pull, thrust, horsepower, ATB

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nikezz, Aug 17, 2010.

1. nikezz

nikezz Junior Member

Hi,
    I have a few questions that I hope someone can kindly answer for me.

1. Bollard pull is a measure of a tug's pulling thrust. I was wondering if bollard pull equates to the push of the tug as well? Or is there a bollard push?

2. When a tug specifications give Max Horse Power (MHP) instead of Shaft Horse Power (SHP), does this have any implications?

3. For the Articulated Tug Barge (ATB) system, it seems to be a pushing system rather than a towing system, does anyone have any negative experiences of the ATB they would care to share?

4. How much bollard pull is required for a barge with 50 tons payload?

Thanks for your time. Hope I gave some constructive questions.

2. nikezz

nikezz Junior Member

Other possibilities

Could someone point me to an expert in tugs if there are none in the forum at the moment?

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Google is pretty good.

4. nikezz

nikezz Junior Member

Answer

1. I found that bollard pull is the actual thrust delivered by the propeller under practical conditions so it should mean that for pushing it's the same. If anyone would like to correct me, please tell me.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Use the Forum search function and several threads on that topic will pop up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.