Maximum Step Angle in a Sailboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Contraband, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Contraband

Contraband Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    A very quick, hopefully simple question: From some references that I have I can get the minimum recomended tread depth for steps in a sailing boat, can anyone give me a reference, a suggestion or recomendation for the recomended angle for a set of steps in a sailing vessel, I am working on a catamaran, but I guess this angle is relatively generic. Any suggestions are appreciated and welcome!!
    Regards
    CB

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Contraband There is two definitions, stairs and ladders. Stairs are between 26degrees to 45degrees and the projected tread for stairs changes with the riser height with a minium riser of 150mm to max 220mm. For min tread use formula 45000/riser in mm and max 48000/riser in mm.
    Ladders (step) should not be less than 60 degrees or more than 70.The projected treads should not be less than 100mm wide with a minimum distance of 150mm from the back. Riser height between 200mm and 250mm.
    Rung-type ladders should not be less than 70degrees or more than 75, with rung spacing of not less than 250mm nor more than 300mm apart.
    Hope this helps.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.