Maximizing small boat stability

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Patrick_76, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Patrick_76

Patrick_76 Junior Member

I am trying to maximize the stability of a small boat that I am designing. It is 12 feet long with a bottom width of approximately 40 inches. The boat does have a slight v for most of the boat (chines are 3 inches above the keel). The beam is 60 inches. Side height right now is 15 inches. The hull lines are somewhat similar to Devlin's Bluebill. I am designing this boat for use in sheltered sloughs, creeks, flooded timber, and small, slow moving rivers (no more than 150 feet across). Any thoughts are how stable such a design will be?

Thanks,
    Patrick

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

It sounds reasonable. A deadrise of 3 to 20?

3. Patrick_76

Patrick_76 Junior Member

I think I'm going to bring the V up some 10-12 inches at the front. I'll post up a pic when I get home to give you a better idea.

On the deadrise, do you think that is too much or not enough for a small boat? The thing will probably be powered by a 5 or 9.9 hp motor.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

The bottom sounds ok but the flare on the sides seems excessive at almost 34 degrees. 40" chine beam and 60" sheer beam?

5. Raggi_Thor

Maybe the topsides has more flare than usual, but if you are rowing you want a small waterline beam. The displacement up to the chines may be around 60kg or 130lbs?

Attached Files:

6. Patrick_76

Patrick_76 Junior Member

That beam is a bit wide isn't it? The original plans had a 48" bottom (1 sheet of plywood wide). I dropped the width at the chines, but didn't drop the width at the beam. I'll check some different sizes tonight to see what comes out looking better.

Thanks,
    Patrick

7. Raggi_Thor

If the boat is very light and someone step on the rail....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.