Max Surf Hull Design

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zeus, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Zeus

Zeus New Member

Hi, i'm trying to design a high speed ferry, but i have had numerous problems modeling the hull in maxsurf, but keeping within the constraints.
    It must be 100m long, have a maximum length/beam ratio of 6:1, a displacement of 1300tonnes (which is proving a be difficult for me!), and a draguht of 3 metres. The ferry will be required to carry 600 passengers, 20 crew and 160 cars. Any advice or help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    chris

2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

If it going to be 16.67m wide and 3 metres draft, I assume it is going to be a catamaran and not a monohull. So what is the specific problem you are having?

3. Zeus

Zeus New Member

It did need to be a mono hull, and I have now managed to produce a design which conforms to the specs given (after a lot of messing about). Its not quite the shape i had in mind, but it works with reasonable success. If i have time i might try and produce another more pleasing design. I just now have to get to grips with the analysis programes related to maxsurf.cheers anyway.
    CE

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

How are you planning on getting a block coefficient of 0.26? I would have thought this length beam and draft combination is just about impossible at this displacement.

5. Zeus

Zeus New Member

to be honest, as u might of guessed I'm new to Maxsurf, but have managed it in the end, all though it did take a lot of trial and error. It wasnt exactly the hull shape i had in mind though. The design i ended up with had a block coeffiecient of 0.54

thanks everbody for your help,

CE

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.