Homemade Motor Boat

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by ced54321, Feb 13, 2010.

1. ced54321

ced54321 New Member

Hi,

I would like to make a small motor for my kayak as I don't have enought money to buy an outboads motor. I think about an Brushcutter motor to make a mud motor style for my kayak. I would like to know if I can use it in saltwater ? Do you think it will work ?:confused:

Thanks in advanced

2. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

I have never seen a kayak that could support an outboard. A trolling motor is possible but you have a 40 pound battery to handle.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Perhaps a small sail rig would be both more practical, lighter and affordable?

4. muddin redneck

muddin redneck DO IT IN THE MUD!!!

if you look under weedeater kayak on you tube there are a lot of vidoes of them. there is also the weedeater conversion thread under diy marinization on this forum it has a lot of different ideas on the subject. if you are planning to use this thing in salt water use aluminum and stainless steel for the component that way they dont rust. most of the guys that have built one of these on the weedeater converstion thread used aluminum for the tube and stainless steel for the shaft. hope this helps

5. ced54321

ced54321 New Member

Ok I will have a look ! thanks you

6. spare parts

spare parts Junior Member

I have a buddy who made his own weed eater outboard by attaching an aluminum muffin fan blade to his ryoby and made himself a vise grip clamping mechanism to fasten to the canoe with

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.