Matt or Semi-Gloss Polyurethane Paint

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Willallison, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Anyone know of a manufacturer of Matt or semi-gloss polurethane paint - preferably available in Australia...?

2. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Normally you add a 'flattening agent' to the 2 pack gloss polurethane to cut the shine down to the required level. Frequently used on spars and decks and also where the topside finish is not perfect.

Both Y'awlgrip and International do one for their two packs.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Yes - I've had a bit of trouble finding anyone who actually sells the stuff. International say they no longer make it, neither do Wattyl.
    Awlgrip do make one, but suggest that it must be sprayed - I want to roll / brush if possible.
    I have found one - but it's rather pricey - and not availble locally. Looks like I'll just have to go with it anyway

I did try adding talcum power - but wasn't that happy with the results.

Thanks CC

4. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Certainly in the UK, International do a flattening agent for single pack paints. It's imaginatively called "International Matting Additive (One Pack)".

I have never used this additive, but have brushed the Toplac gloss by itself and with practice and teamwork, you can get a good finish. More and more super yachts are being brushed, and I certainly recommend it for steel cruising boats to encourage owners to think of their paint system as a continuous, ongoing project.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.