matt and Woven Roving or ud and bix

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by hareb, May 12, 2006.

1. hareb

hareb New Member

hi guys i have been making boats out of matt and woven rovin, and i,m thinking of moving in to the biax and the ud with core. so i would like to ask what are the bad side and the good side of both Materials and the bad side
    thank you

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Mat/roving is a fairly traditional combination, well proven but not very high-tech or exciting. It's an easy-to-use system and not too expensive.
    Cored structures are inherently much more difficult to design, but can be far stronger per kilogram than plain solid layups. With biaxial and unidirectional cloths you can concentrate strength where it is needed most, and not waste material in directions that take smaller loads. Designing with these materials is a lot more difficult, though, since to take full advantage of their properties you need a good knowledge of the stress distributions in the structure.
    If you are thinking of starting work with higher-tech materials, it's probably a good idea to track down some books or suppliers' info on how to use them well.

3. prabath

prabath New Member

suggest

bad side is back side:D :cool:

4. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Hareb,

Try to get over for IBEX in Florida.

Yoke.

5. Bad_Trim

Bad_Trim Junior Member

laminate design

If you need assistance with re-designing the laminate, send me an email.

6. myastral

myastral Pan Asian Yacht Service

Information

What are the best books for information on how large fibeglass hulls are made and were can I find more information ABYC just isnt that useful

Steve Forest

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.