Maths and Ship Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Furkan, Nov 23, 2020.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

How can you call yourself a "designer" if you admit changes that ruin your project? You may call yourself an "appliance salesman" (or something similar) but never a designer.

2. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

If you've spent any time working in the engineering office of a manufacturer, you would know that the sales office has as much to say about design as anyone, probably more.

Unless you are an independent artist producing work solely on a whim, design input is based on sales, the customer's input and availible materials and technology. There are lots of influences to design that are beyond a designer's control. That doesn't mean there isn't a designer, by name or function.

-Will ("furniture design engineer", Dragonfly)

3. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

I have come to the understanding that the definition of a Designer has not an arbitrary meaning to those who depend upon it for their livelihood.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Of course, nowadays anyone makes a nice render and advertises themselves on social media as a "designer"

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Naturally, no one would design something knowing that it is not going to sell, if we talk about the fact that their livelihood depends on their designs. Another thing is to let a stranger, even the one who pays, modify our designs until they are ruined. The one who pays is the boss, but the responsibility for the design, its safety, its compliance with the SOR, fortunately or unfortunately, belongs to the designer and an honest designer, rather than being forced to do something ruinous, withdraws from the project.

bajansailor and Will Gilmore like this.
  6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Designer of what: hull shape below waterline, hull shape above waterline, sail rig (if applicable), topsides shape and arrangement, interior arrangement, structure, propulsion and mechanical systems, electrical systems, exterior appearance, interior appearance, .....???

For a smaller boat a single designer may design all of the above. For a large project many of those areas will be designed by separate individuals or groups, with some of the individuals or groups referred to as naval architects or engineers rather than designers. Also in some areas, particularly those which are appearance sensitive, one individual or group provide the overall direction, perhaps as sketches and renderings while others are responsible for the more detailed design.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Designer of whatever, of the object (material or immaterial) that best fits the initial SOR. You can design a boat (small or large) or a shoe, but you can also design an action strategy in the event of an event or you can design a marketing campaign. In any case, whether it is a single person or a team of professionals, whether it is part of the total project or the whole project, it would be dishonest to let someone outside the team screw it up.
    I have no doubt that you know exactly what I am talking about and I would be surprised to know that you do not agree with the above.

8. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

I am in the inspired by stages.
    After I have my 5,000+ hours in I hope to call myself a designer of one small sailboat.
    Designing would be the easy part of course because starting and running a business would be the hard part.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Strawman; what are you talking about?

10. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

To your question Furkan.
    This is a work in process.
    After I did some Line Drawings, Offsets, etc.. I started on a Spreadsheet, this is version 4.3. I haven't used a 3D program. But I have 3 version of "Diotima" on this spreadsheet and 5 Sail Plan configurations so far and I still have a long way to go still. Like that !@#$% Dellenbaugh angle.
    The spreadsheet is great you can change thing over and over without rewriting the formulas. upload_2020-12-19_11-54-1.png

11. Eric ruttan

Eric ruttan Senior Member

As I read the OP, I see no question, do you?
    I see a telling. I suggest a telling wrong, but that is IMHO.
    Where, or what, is the question you answer with the above?

TANSL likes this.
  12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Eric: You have done nothing but engage in negative and snide comments. No one has a problem with the original post. It is clearly an opening to a discussion on how to start the design of a boat. If there is anything wrong IYHO :)rolleyes:) , how about saying what is wrong?

Howlandwoodworks likes this.
  13. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

Eric,
    I think you are right I will try to stay within the intent of the originally post.
    John

TANSL likes this.
  14. Eric ruttan

Eric ruttan Senior Member

Ow. I am hurt to my heart. I'll have to salve it with TANSL's like. you can't please all the .....
    gonzo, I think you have it all the wrong way around. I was pointing at how I perceived Howlandwoodworks's reply as a non sequitur, not critiquing the OP. I already did that on the first page.

TANSL likes this.

15. Kayakmarathon

Kayakmarathon Senior Member

Don't forget to add catenary curves ( cosh (x) ) to your list of waterlines, shearlines, and aft keel line. I like to use ellipse and other shapes with infinite slope at the bow for the fore keel line. 2-dimensional (4 point) NURBs are great for defining the bow, midship, and transom cross sections. You can tell I like to use parametric design methods. They are fairly easy to express in a spreadsheet. Computing the cross section offsets for a given hull thickness is quite a challenge to arrange neatly.

Howlandwoodworks likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.