Foil design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Dr X, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Dr X

Dr X New Member

In studying foils on boats for my a-level coursework I have struggeled to find enough detailed reasoning for how a foil
    works. I understand both the coanda and bernouli effects, from what I understand the bernouli effect has no influence on
    lift from a symetrical foil as both sides of the foil are of equal length. For the coanda effect the foil can't be directly
    in line with the flow of water and must have a certain angle of attack, is this the case in boats or not?

Any help or any links to related sites would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Alec. :)

2. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Google for Airfoil Primer by Dreese.

3. GDelerm

GDelerm Junior Member

4. markdrela

markdrela Senior Member

Another very good reference is http://www.av8n.com/how/ by Denker. See Chaper 3.
    He convincingly dispels the most durable myths about lift -- longer distance on top, Bernoulli versus Newton, etc etc.

5. Karsten

Karsten Senior Member

On symmetrical foils the vortex? method works quite well. The idea is to overlay a vortex and the parallel flow of water. The vortex looks like the thing you get if you pull the plug out of a full bathtub. The rotation makes the stream faster on one side and slower on the other. This generates the lift. To calculate the strength of the vortex you put the centre at 1/4 of the chord length. Then you make sure that no water flows through the foil at 3/4 of the chord. Once you know the strength of the vortex you can calculate the lift.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.