materials

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Jul 23, 2015.

1. grady

grady Novice

Hey folks, I have a question on steering componets and various materials to make them.

I'm currently removing the upper plate rudder bushing (bearing) which sits on a rudder shelf. On my twin engine diesel powered sporty. The old cast iron 4 bolted thing seemed to work fine just a little unsitely. but it has attached its self pretty good to the stainless rudder shaft. while looking for a replacement I found a company Tidesmarine that makes a bearing out of UHMW-PE which stands for ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene. UHMW is extremely durable, abrasion resistant and does not absorb water. It’s coefficient of friction (when water-lubricated) approximates that of Teflon in these bearing products.

Any truth to this statement? These things any good? anyone using these with good results?

here are links of both types

Old: http://www.farmbearings.com/product-p/rcj 1-3-fslash-4 timken.htm

New: https://www.tidesmarine.com/tides-marine/upper-rudder-bearing-std

Thanks

Tony G.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. grady

grady Novice

Please forgive misplacement of post, it doesn't really fit into any category.

Tony G.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is a very good material for bushings. I am not sure how it works as a ball bearing though. Seems like they would creep under constant load and deform.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

UHMW and the other polyethylenes are indeed well suited bushings. I use HDPE and HMPE regularly, particularly to get their self lubricating properties. These types of plastics (and other polymers) are currently employed in most ball bearing blocks, track cars and other high load situations. Delrin, Celcon, Ramtal, Duracon are common brand names for acetal (polyoxymethylene or POM), which is the usual choice for high stiffness, low friction, resistant to deformation plastics, employed in this manner.

5. grady

grady Novice

Thanks guys...... good to know.

Has anyone uses the bearings from Tidesmarine?
    any history on the company?

can anyone recommend a brand.

Thanks again

Tony G

6. PAR

Tidesmarine has been around for about 20 years and specializes in products that employ these high density plastics. I think much of their business is with the dripless shaft seals, but they have other products as well. If they weren't doing a fairly reasonable job, they'd have died a while back.

7. grady

grady Novice

Thanks Paul, I'll do some more research and see what I can find.

Thanks

Tony G.

8. PAR

What are your fears Tony? They're pretty well known in my area, but this just might be that they're local.