what can I slather on cork trekking pole handles to preserve them?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Squidly-Diddly, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WIT3616/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Got some of these that came with cork handles and on the back side there are 3/16"x3/16" serrations on the palm side. Seems like the cork ain't gonna last long. I always wear Maxi-Flex gloves and didn't mind plastic or foam handles in other poles.

I know they sell special stuff for cork but I think thats mostly for fishing poles in salt water, antiques or something, and for appearance, and I don't need yet another $10 little can of something I only use 5% of sitting around.
    What about boiled linseed oil, or Shoe-Goo, or rubber cement or Plasti-Dip?
    Just ordered some of this because some guy says it looks ( and I assume smells) like the stuff they sell for $10/2oz jar. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PRNXNY?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp
    Will it be same stuff?

PS-reason I got THESE poles is they are bit better (and longer) than real cheap ones but also have SPRING feature which to me is like diff between oxfords and Nike Air.

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

I tried but was unable to determine the active ingredients of the fishing pole and sandle cork protectors.

The minwax polyacrylic will leave a protective film on cork handles. However they may have less traction especially when wet.

Personality, I would soak them in your favorite cooking vegetable oil (olive, canola, corn, ect) from your kitchen. Use a paper towel to blot completely dry. Reapply regularly. This will preserve the feel and traction of the cork.

Teak, tong, mineral, or baby oils will also work

Used motor oil will do if your willing to accept a darker color.

3. Squidly-Diddly

thx, Blue but all I'm worried about the cork that is made from little chunks not falling apart.

I wish I had plastic or foam handles.

4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Why do you want to preserve them if you don't like them?
    Replace them, now or when they wear out.

5. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Three coats of any varnish should keep the cork intact.
    Recoat in a few years when the varnish starts to show signs of where.

If the cork does fail
    Slice it off and replace with bicycle grips

6. Squidly-Diddly

don't hate them, yet, just no need for fancy cork and would rather have something 110% weather (and mud, freeze, sun etc) proof.

Yeah, if the poles work out other wise but cork doesn't I guess some type of bike grips will be the go-to. But might be problematic due to rather complex way the pole tops that house the strap adjusters are most likely permanently fixed to poles and diff stress hands put on these grips VS bike bar tape wraps. Big thing with these poles isn't the grip so much as the strap (and adjustment) which takes the main force on under side of wrist. If you try just using grip you will get carpel tunnel, so they tell me.
    Plan-F would a paracord wrap.

7. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

I think you are underestimating the resilience of the cork. You should get years of use as is. Varnishing will add some additional service life. And as bluebell suggests, there are ways to replace them if they where out.