Scarfing carbon fiber panels - is this possible?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Coastal Ogre, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Coastal Ogre

Coastal Ogre Junior Member

In looking at the ever expanding options for CF hulled boats, what are the industry accepted methods for repair?
    If a CF race boat, Gunboat, or even an older Lagoon 57S was holed; where would you have the work done and what hull repair methodology would be appropriate?
    I actually had a conversation with my insurance underwriter and his view was "never buy a CF hulled boat". His concern was the astronomical repair costs if you should ever be faced with them.
    So what are the repair processes for CF? Is it similar to a solid fiberglass hull (I'm thinking not)?
    What are the bonding requirements to approximate the (once continuous) anisotrophic material properties?
    Can you even scarf these materials together (12:1 ratio, lap joint, etc.)? Perhaps if you could, then replacing interior bulkheads might become more exotic?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.