Material strength and fatigue

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MikeJohns, Aug 9, 2006.

1. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Books to read

There are two very very good books on materials for the layperson. They are by JE Gordon - The science of strong materials (why you don't fall through the floor) and Structures ( why thinkgs don't fall down) Penguin science

I love these books and reread them every couple of months. Another favourite is the "Stress without tears" by Tom Rhodes. Rhodes is an aircraft designer who goes through the process of designing an airplane with the reader.

I met a bloke who designed the nicest looking cat I have ever seen. He used JE Gordon to get his knowledge up to a standard that meant he knew what he didn't know and got a little help for a beautiful arched main mast beam. The boat - Songlines did a lot of miles and was an absolute art work.

cheers

Phil Thompson

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.