Matching gelcoat color

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rturbett, Feb 11, 2009.

1. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

Any hints for matching gelcoat to a buff/tan/off white color?
    Anyone have a favorite repair kit?
    Thanks

2. CML UK Ltd

CML UK Ltd GRP & FRP Plugs Mouldings

You can get off white gelcoat. Best thing to do is get a colour swatch from a chandlery and match it to your gelcoat then buy in a small amount through the chandlers. Big resin suppliers often have agents who sell small amounts.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

If you want to buy it, it depends on the amount you need, five gallons is no problem, one gal is a little tougher and more costly, lesser amounts are even tougher and far more costly.

To do it yourself can be tricky, you can get close, but without access to the exact base resin and pigments of the gel coat your trying to match it may not be great.

If you're trying to match another type of product (paint, vinyl, tile, plastic, etc) it can be very difficult to almost impossible to achieve the correct color and look

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

It is very difficult to match gel coat color and whites are the most difficult. Most boatyards have someone who get this job and they will have a supply of white gelcoat and a kit of color pigments to work with. Without access to this, chances are slim unless you are very lucky. Visit you local boatyard and talk to them. That is what I do when necessary.

5. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

I've used the little scratch repair kits that come with 5 or 6 coloring agents. I did an "ok" job getting the tan/buff color. I like the idea of getting color cards. I just need to find someone to mix up a gallon for me.
    Rob