Importing hulls to Prosurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by Troutcatcher, May 13, 2007.

1. Troutcatcher

Troutcatcher Junior Member

Greg Carlson´s free hull design software contains numbers of preentered hulls including a Whitehall for example. The files have the extension .hul

I want to import some of these .hul files to Profsurf.

Does anyone know how this can be done??

Thanks in advance,

Troutcatcher

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

No direct way, has to be done manually or maybe using a txt file to import the coordinates of the "main sections" (these will be the control vertexes on prosurf)

other way may be to export the hull on 3D from Hulls, as a DXF, and import the hull into prosurf, once there, create a surface with similar number of control points (vertex) and use the DXF points to "snap" the surface control vertex points to it, that should give you a really close surface to the original design.

most of this should be on the manual

cheers

3. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Rhino

I may be wrong but think Hulls does not export 3D dxf

You can use the 25 save demo version of rhino to import the DXF and recreate the surfaces using the "curve from 2 views" command and surface "edge curves"

Export as iges to Prosurf.

4. Troutcatcher

Troutcatcher Junior Member

Thanks

Thank you for your quick reply. I will experiment with the methods you suggested.

All the best,

Troutcatcher

5. Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor Junior Member

6. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Freeship

Thanks Bruce, the Freeship option is the best by far.

7. CGN

CGN Senior Member

When you open the "hulls" file in prosurf (as a DXF) it will show the model in 3D, all the views that are supposed to be projected are shown in prosurf and i think in rhino too, as a 3D geometry, this way you can use it as a reference to "build" a surface around the wireframe. I'll use prosurf first to generate the 3D model surface, and then use rhino to finish the modeling.

I haven't used freeship to open a "hulls" file but knowing the great job that martjin did, I'm sure that should be the easiest way to go.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.