Mat and roven woven?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fishweed, Nov 2, 2006.

1. fishweed

fishweed Junior Member

I am rebuilding a 36 ft motorsailer, that had serious deck and cabin problems, I have repaired the decks with Douglas Fir and I am putting epoxy on and then a layer of mat, this is the first time I used epoxy instead of poly resin, it is different to work with, but I like it, if I was using polyester resin I would use mat, r/woven, and mat, for strenght, but I need only to seal the decks and cabin, the structure is strong, the boat is a fiber glass hull and had wood decks and cabin, should I put roven woven and another layer of mat , or is the one layer of mat ok, I am painting the entire boat with Alwgrip, and no I have not repaired the stringers yet, they can wait.

Mark

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

If you use mat , make sure its compatible with epoxy. Some mat has a silane coating that will only dissolve with styrene. I would go with poly, epoxy is not worth the money for what you are doing.