Mastless Crab Claw ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Canada Bob, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

2. Canada Bob

Canada Bob Junior Member

Thanks for the links Perry, appreciated...

I've been doing more than a few sketches of the boat I want to build, and as things stand I'll have time this winter, seeing as how I'll be staying here in Nova Scotia for the next 6 months.

Just one short trip coming up in 2 weeks time, back to Blackpool for 3 weeks to see the Lucinations ;) then back here by the 28th October, then to work on my little project.

By the way, I managed to get a couple of vaulting poles, second hand, but in good enough shape, so I'm sorted as far as that goes.

All the Best,

Canada Bob.

3. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Most Efficient Sail?

Would this be it, or not?

192 sq feet would be better as conventional cat sail, instead of crab claw?

Attached Files:

4. Canada Bob

Canada Bob Junior Member

The conventional sail would probably be better, but...

Would it be as much fun ;) thanks for the suggestion though, valued and appreciated.

Canada Bob.

5. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Crab Claw or Conventional

Just to be clear, if you could run either rig, you would choose the conventional cat rig, because it is more efficient, easier to manage, both?

I might add one Malibu sailor indicated the MO's crab style sail is quite efficient upwind...

The Malibu Outrigger is light at 400 pounds rigged, with 192 square feet of sail, and am thinking that would be too large if cat rigged, instead of crab, but not sure, so am asking your opinion, and anyone else who has idea.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.