Atlantic Crossing In Robert Baker's Orca

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Reef_Earliegh, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Reef_Earliegh

Reef_Earliegh New Member

I have been looking for an small, economical coastal cruising boat for the shallow anchorages and harbors of the Mediterranean. I live on a CCA boat in the US. I know what it would take to prepare my current boat for the trip. Though it would not cost a lot to upgrade, there is still the chance of dismasting or the dreaded catastrophic hull failure miles from the nearest boat yard. It's as simple as a modern sailboat gets, thought it is still complex and pricey to repair.

I have it in my head that a surf boat like Orca built to my modified plans would make a nice "sneak-across" boat in the tradition of ...those guys that sailed dories and such across great expanses of water. I've added a full deck, a very low house, a self bailing cockpit, external ballast and a bit of keel drag, a little more area of rudder, a longer and more shallow centerboard; keeping in mind weight and deviation from the original construction and balance of the boat. It's a work of art.

The sprit rigged cat ketch does seem manageable, though I would imagine a trisail from the main would work better in overly strong winds.

After all, isn't a large confused sea just so much high surf?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.