Re-rigging a small sailboat (Luger Southwind 21 to Catalina 22)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Tops, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Tops

Tops Senior Member

Over the course of the weekend, through measurement and discussion, I discovered that my mainsail seems to be cut for a boat one size bigger, with a luff 2 feet too long for the boom to clear the deck.

In looking through available options, the Catalina 22 seems more supported commercially than the Luger 21. The boats are fairly close except in rigging and that the Catalina is a smidge longer on the waterline. The rigging on the Luger is a fractional forestay, lowers, swept fractional uppers, and baby stays added to center the mast during stepping. The Catalina has a masthead rig with fore and back stays and 4 lowers (if I understand the pictures correctly). I am due for new wires and I need a new sail so...would making my boat more Catalina-esque n the rigging department be a positive thing? Seems like by adding the back stay that foresail options including genoa and spinnaker would be possible. I would need to change the spreaders (move up the mast and make longer), add a masthead that can take the longer stays and extra foresail halyard sheaves, and re-configure side and rear chainplates.

My co-worker is convinced that I am doing this to add work to the project thereby delaying any use of the boat...but thinks I should add ratlines if I do the 4 lower shrouds. After looking at the graphics it seems like the Luger could be 'better strung' somehow.

Looking forward to the group's comments, Thanks in advance! RIGGING_S21_C22._composite.jpg

2. SeaPig

SeaPig Junior Member

Tops,
    Have you tried to sail the boat as it is? I would be curious to know if the boat has helm or Lee tendencies that a Catalina 22 doesn’t have?
    Pig

Tops likes this.
  3. Tops

Tops Senior Member

That is a good question SeaPig, thanks for the reply.

I have only sailed this one a handful of times and have had issues hoisting the main with it being too big for the boat and with the mast gate slot being so large so that the slugs fall out every time the sail is dropped. I have since made mast gates that I molded in situ on the mast to get the correct shape. I don't have that much experience to judge whether x is better than y and I will not gain any experience with the boat until is on the water with a manageable rig so I am stuck a little.

On another forum I was warned about the mast position being too far forward on the Luger, that is designed for a roachy main with no backstay, to make a full Catalina rig perform well with its bigger headsails, smaller main, and backstay. There was also a skipper that did a Catalina 22 mast conversion to another boat who encouraged me to consider keeping the current rig but adding more-or-less permanent reefs to the current sail to use as-is rather than to attempt any sort of head and leech modification. Most people I talk to tell me to jettison the roller reefing that came stock on the boat.

There is a regional group of Catalina22 sailors I am hoping to sail with this summer and one of their organizers lives nearby and has an old Cat22 main the he offered to let me try for fit. If things work out I may have the sail in about a week. He also mentioned doing some sailing together earlier in the season, maybe I can have him watch me sail or try sailing my boat to offer an opinion of the rig.

Messing around yesterday, the Mariner 19 seems to be in the same general configuration with the exception of lower deck height (cabin and free board too) and less LOA, waterline is almost the same. When the entry/waterlines are matched, the 'cat-iness' of the Luger is pretty visible.
    s21c22m19compare.png

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you want a Catalina rig, it would be cheaper and easier to buy a Catalina. Adding chainplates will include modifying the hull structure. The mast may also need to be changed for one with a larger section. You can use spinnakers and genoas in a fractional rig. However, unless you are racing, spinnakers don't make much sense. I tend to agree with your coworker.

Tops likes this.
  5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

I would be very cautious of your boom when adding a back stay. It looks like the Luger has a longer boom and no back stay. The back stay on a Mariner is off centered, mostly to accommodate the tiller, but raising the boom or changing the rake too far forward can cause the boom to catch the back stay. Most factory designed rigs have little play, but sometimes individual boats can vary a lot.

I am part of the Mariner's Class Association and I know there is variation even in the step location of the tabernacle. Just be careful and try to think of every possible parameter to keep right.

BTW, I think the Mariner has the same sail area and basic layout as a Laser, so you might add that to your list of options.

Tops likes this.
  6. Tops

Tops Senior Member

Gonzo, Will- thanks.

Not much structure in terms of chain plates. A thin metal plate with three bolt holes and 2 stays. No bulkheads. Looks like it is relying on the the stiffness of the molded corner and maybe another 1/8 to 1/4" extra on the inside under the washers. Rigging is 1/8" with thimbles and single Nicopress ovals. s21_chainplate_1.png
    s21_chainplate_2.png

7. SeaPig

SeaPig Junior Member

Going sailing with a bit of expertise sounds like a good idea. Especially if you can get a few rides on a Catalina 22 and then make a base line comparison.
    Gonzo is probably dead on with cost to make these changes being the same as getting a Catalina 22. Note the location of
    the swing keel between each model. Even if you get all the standing rig together I’d bet it would still handle differently due to how far forward everything below waterline is placed.
    Pig

8. Tops

Tops Senior Member

Thanks SeaPig.
    I was not really thinking about how the center of effort in the sail and the lateral resistance of the keel would be different between the boats.

I am hoping to get out with others but still want to sail this one myself on my own time without buying a new sail. I have half a mind to 'chop' my current sail off about 22 inches (57cm) at the head, re-fair the roach, and get it looking/functioning as shown in all the pictures online, where none of the sails are rolled on the boom yet there is breathing room between boom and deck. Then figure out some sort of slab reefing so I can keep the mainsheet on the bail on the boom.
    RIG2b.jpg

9. Tops

Tops Senior Member

RIG2c.jpg Emailed with a sail maker today, was recommended to remove foot instead of head for re-cutting.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  10. tlouth7

tlouth7 Senior Member

What percentage risk of the mast spontaneously folding in half are you willing to tolerate?

11. Tops

Tops Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. Are you hinting that the 'fake' Catalina 22 situation is the one that would induce the mast folding in half, or the stock situation with a reasonably cut sail?

12. Tops

Tops Senior Member

The decision was made to have the local loft take 22" off the bottom and maintain the roller reefing for this season.
    They were done in a day and I got to rig the boat and hoist the sail last weekend. Thanks for everyone's input!
    spot_recut2.jpg spot_recut3.jpg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.