questions about wave resistance and form factor

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Robert Carelli, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Robert Carelli

Robert Carelli New Member

Hey all,

I am currently writing a paper for high school, an extended essay for the IB, and I was if you could help me with a couple of things. I have been looking at the different types of resistance on sailboats, and I can't figure out a couple of things. How is the form factor determined for the viscous pressure resistance, and does anything directly influence the wave resistance of the hull like the wetted surface area of the hull effects the frictional resistance? Well that's all for now.

Thanks,

Robert

2. Not A Guest

Not A Guest Junior Member

Taylor and Gertler formula.

3. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Length of waterline, speed of vessel, and displacement will directly influence wave making resistance

4. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Those are the major contributors, but other factors, such as the prismatic coefficient and the LCB, do play a role, too.

Have a look at "The Bare Hull Resistance of the Delft Systematic Yacht Hull Series" by J.A. Keuning. You can find it here: http://www.sailboat-technology.com under the section "Online Articles".

Best regards and good luck with your paper,

Søren

5. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

What is actually called the "form factor" is a correction used to rescale frictional resistance in model test results, and ca be found in any good naval architecture text.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.