1st Boat - Restoration

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by jsheehan, Apr 19, 2010.

1. jsheehan

jsheehan New Member

Hello!

I joined this forum to do some research for an upcoming build I'm planning. While I'm here, this is how I started out.

In July 2007 while on vacation in Maine I came across a dilapidated 8ft dinghy. Upon setting eyes on it I decided I must have it - $50 later it was strapped into the back of my Chevy Blazer (RIP).

This is the only before picture I have of "Cleo" (poor planning):
    [​IMG]
    (The dashing young fellow on the left is me at the tender age of 18)

After letting her spend a year in the garage, I tackled the restoration in the summer of 2008. All told it took about 2 months to get the work done here and there - here's how it came out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

That's a sweet little tender. Tenders like that are so hard to find for a reasonable price.
    Is that Maine location somewhere around Freeport/Yarmouth?

3. jsheehan

jsheehan New Member

Not too far - Boothbay Harbor

4. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

What a great job jsheehan! It's wonderful to see someone take on these "rescue" projects. You have a great conversation piece there!

So what's your next project????:D

MIA

5. jsheehan

jsheehan New Member

Thank you!
    I've always found satisfaction in giving this type of "lost" project a new lease on life.

My next project? I want to sail - a few years of sunfish sailing got me hooked. Thing is, I live in Boston year-round these days (studying Mechanical Engineering at Northeastern University) which really cuts down on my storage/workshop space.
    Right now I'm weighing my options with what I can manage, and I'll have to do some fiddling to come up with a design that fits my needs. The goal is a portable, storable, 1-2 person craft for sailing in light to medium weather (I won't be taking it to Martha's Vineyard, but I'd like to be a little agressive with it on occasion).

6. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Boston......well the good news is that you have Boulter Plywood Corp. in your backyard. They're in Somerville on lower Broadway just off I-93. We live in New York but have a lot of relatives up on the north shore. I've made a number of trips to Boulter on my way home from Gloucester. Saved the shipping charges.:) :) :)

Very helpful people!

MIA

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.